Discuss Shower 8.5 on a 40mcb is it dangerous in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys

My tenant just had an electrician in to connect her cooker and has told her that the shower is dangerous and not to use it because it has a 40 mcb in the consumer unit and it should be a 32.
The cable is 6mm and the shower is 8.5kw.

Can you advise me please
Thank you in anticipation

Ask for this to be put in writing by the electrician, explain that you need them to specify the exact regulation numbers which they are referring to and ask them to explain exactly how it is dangerous.

It 8s possible that the installation may not comply with the current regulations, but it may not necessarily be dangerous.

Sure that 6mm can only take more than 40A if clipped direct.
So a 32A would be a sensible option surely? 8.5kw is about 35/36 amps.
So smaller shower or bigger cable.
Or is my memory and maths failing me as much as my Fantasy football team?

Sure that 6mm can only take more than 40A if clipped direct.
So a 32A would be a sensible option surely? 8.5kw is about 35/36 amps.
So smaller shower or bigger cable.
Or is my memory and maths failing me as much as my Fantasy football team?
Hi Mike
I thought an 8.5 would draw a current of 35.5A so you would need an mcb higher than that and the next one up is 40.
Regards Chris

Chris, this is the correct sized MCB for a 8.5kW shower, a 32amp device would be running at a slight overcurrent and although it would take a long time to trip it's not permitted in the regulations. I can't stand people who find fault with work unrelated to what they're doing - especially when they're spouting BS. :)
Thank you very much Dave for a very clear decision on this question.

Regards Chris

The electrician was there to connect the cooker. He didn't have to mention anything about the shower circuit.
Dont think I agree there, if I saw a potentially dangerous situation I would point it out.

Saying that this is not a good example of that, as it's not a potentially dangerous situation.

Dont think I agree there, if I saw a potentially dangerous situation I would point it out.

Saying that this is not a good example of that, as it's not a potentially dangerous situation.
So you are sure it is not dangerous because I think my tenant will still want it changed to a 32 because an electrician has told it is dangerous and must not use the shower.

Regards Chris

Rewinding to the beginning;

The tenant has just had a new cooker (delivered and ?) connected by an "Electrician".
Would this be from Currys or similar?

apart from all the good advice given so far, as long as the 6.0mm is installed as ref. method C, i.e. it can safely carry 47A, ( Ib<Iz ) then aas the shower is a fixed load, overcurrent protection is not required so a 50A MCB could be installed. 433.3.1 (ii). (BYB 17th).

So you are sure it is not dangerous because I think my tenant will still want it changed to a 32 because an electrician has told it is dangerous and must not use the shower.

Regards Chris
Without actually visiting the site for an inspection I cannot commit to a definate answer as to whether your installation is dangerous, however
Having a 32A or a40A mcb on an 8.5kw shower is quite common and I would not be concerned either way.
Obviously 40A Mcb is the preferred breaker.

Reply to Shower 8.5 on a 40mcb is it dangerous in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock