Discuss Shower circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rapier

hi guys

Customer wanting to upgrade electric shower.

6MM twin and earth to isolator then to shower total length of cable run 7 meteres, this including run to shower.

This is protected by an RCD and being currently on 32A cb.

Can this wire stop in if wanting a 10.8KW shower?

Have tested the circuit and all is good.

Keep it on a 32 amp mcb. If it holds in it's good and creates no danger. Chances are it will pop out often 'cause it's pushing the boundries. 10500/230 = 45.6 amps. 10 mm if it's a problem. You are an electrician, not a magician.
Bigal

hi guys

Customer wanting to upgrade electric shower.

6MM twin and earth to isolator then to shower total length of cable run 7 meteres, this including run to shower.

This is protected by an RCD and being currently on 32A cb.

Can this wire stop in if wanting a 10.8KW shower?

Have tested the circuit and all is good.

I have tried this and works ok BUT it works MUCH better with the bigger cable.Must be less voltage drop or something.The one I had doings with was about 16m away and after new cable went in there was far better force of hot water,with the 10mm.With the 6mm whenever you turned up the temp the pressure dropped.Buggered if I know why but that is what happened.

I have tried this and works ok BUT it works MUCH better with the bigger cable.Must be less voltage drop or something.The one I had doings with was about 16m away and after new cable went in there was far better force of hot water,with the 10mm.With the 6mm whenever you turned up the temp the pressure dropped.Buggered if I know why but that is what happened.

Well when u turn up the temp, you in turn are drawing more current therefore causing that 6mm cable being pushed at its boundaries to get hotter, thus increasing resistance, and to put it plainly this induces voltage drop. Therefore your shower was not getting the required power to run effectively.

Sorry I may have missed the point here:confused:

10800/230 = 46.956A with no diversity allowable on showers.

What is the point in leaving it on 6mm protected by 32A MCB when plainly you will have no end of problems with it.

Upgrade to 10mm and 40A MCB to start with.

Also why do you want such a high current rating shower?? mine is 8.5KW and is more than adequate.

Cheers.

Also why do you want such a high current rating shower?? mine is 8.5KW and is more than adequate.

Cheers.

Not my doing mate them customers:mad:

I did advice lowering rating of show but you know customers will have further chat with them.

What rating CB is urs on lenny.

Cheers 4 now guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey buddy.

My 8.5KW is wired in 10mm and on 40A.

To be honest I dont use 6mm for showers at all anymore only 10mm

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont forget that electric showers are fairly dependent on incoming mains pressure so a low KW shower may well work better in one area than another.

Hey buddy.

My 8.5KW is wired in 10mm and on 40A.

To be honest I dont use 6mm for showers at all anymore only 10mm

Cheers.

me too,10mm split concentric I use.Far handier than T&E,only have to drill a smaller hole in the joists,can even clip it surface up the side of a house and into the eves,its got a full sized cpc and you can buy cut lengths of it from the wholesaler.:)

Not my doing mate them customers:mad:

I did advice lowering rating of show but you know customers will have further chat with them.

What rating CB is urs on lenny.

Cheers 4 now guys

If you do go 10kw dont forget as well as the 50amp mcb you will need a 50amp pull cord switch as well.

Last edited:
Well when u turn up the temp, you in turn are drawing more current therefore causing that 6mm cable being pushed at its boundaries to get hotter, thus increasing resistance, and to put it plainly this induces voltage drop. Therefore your shower was not getting the required power to run effectively.

Not always true on some showers as when you have it set to the high setting you will be taking the maximum current, when you turn the other control knob all you are doing is opening and closing a valve on the water going throught the shower and not the current.

Reply to Shower circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock