Discuss Simple Light Switch Replacement? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

James P

DIY
Reaction score
I'm in the US and not an electrician, but I know how to use a multimeter.
I'm replacing a Lutron MACL-153M electronic dimmable light switch. Single pole; it controls the ceiling light above the kitchen sink.
For some reason, It's on the same circuit as the master bedroom instead of the plethora of circuits in the kitchen.

3 wires in the switch box: Ground (Copper), Black and White.
I wired in the new switch the same way the previous one was:

1) Green Ground to Copper ground wire via wire nut
2) White wire to lower screw (Black)
3) Black Wire to upper screw (Brass)

Lutron instructions say the Blue screw (Top, opposite Brass screw) will not be used.
I assume this is for situations where one fixture is controlled by multiple switches.

Restored power at the breaker, and no dice.

Multi-meter set to V / AC shows the following:

Red probe to Black wire + Black Probe to White Wire: 3.58V
Red Probe to Black Wire + Black Probe to Copper Ground Wire: 118V
Red Probe to White Wire + Black Probe to Copper Ground Wire: 121V

What am I looking at here and how do I correct it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

v/r

Jim

Hi Jim
You appear to have voltage coming out of the switch, with a small voltage drop across it - to be expected.
Are you sure the light above the sink is working? Check for voltage there.
Is it possible that whatever has gone wrong with that light circuit is in the light fitting not the switch?

sounds like you have lost the a connection on white. not familiar with US wiring so may be wrong.

Hi Jim
You appear to have voltage coming out of the switch, with a small voltage drop across it - to be expected.
Are you sure the light above the sink is working? Check for voltage there.
Is it possible that whatever has gone wrong with that light circuit is in the light fitting not the switch?
Hi Avo Mk8,

That's a good point. I assumed the light socket was good. Daughter swapped out the bulb. Will test it and post back with my findings.

I guess what confusing me, it that the LEDs on the light switch don't power up once the switch is wired in and power restored to the circuit.

Okay... the bulb in the socket was dead... duh. Swapping it out with a new bulb closed the circuit, the switch is working now.

Reply to Simple Light Switch Replacement? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net