Discuss Single Phase Charger on Three Phase Supply in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, been a bit of a lurker of the forums here for a while and so far they have saved me more times than I can say, but now I have a question that I am hoping you can help me with.

I have a single phase forklift charger and it currently has a 2p+e plug and connects to the corresponding socket. But, now, we want to move this charger to a different warehouse. In this new warehouse there are two three phase sockets available (one already in use by a second charger). I don't want to have to add a new socket here, so I what I am asking is can I connect this single phase charger to the three phase socket? If so, which phase would I connect it to? Is this type of thing commonly done? Would a three phase to single phase adapter be more suitable?

I just want to check that this is safe to do as the cost of calling in the electricians almost is the same cost as buying a new forklift charger for three phase. I'm not a qualified electrician, but I am an network manager and engineer and have always done my own electrical work where I can. I am looking at courses to become qualified, so any recommendations for courses would be amazing! Thanks everyone!

Hi all, been a bit of a lurker of the forums here for a while and so far they have saved me more times than I can say, but now I have a question that I am hoping you can help me with.

I have a single phase forklift charger and it currently has a 2p+e plug and connects to the corresponding socket. But, now, we want to move this charger to a different warehouse. In this new warehouse there are two three phase sockets available (one already in use by a second charger). I don't want to have to add a new socket here, so I what I am asking is can I connect this single phase charger to the three phase socket? If so, which phase would I connect it to? Is this type of thing commonly done? Would a three phase to single phase adapter be more suitable?

I just want to check that this is safe to do as the cost of calling in the electricians almost is the same cost as buying a new forklift charger for three phase. I'm not a qualified electrician, but I am an network manager and engineer and have always done my own electrical work where I can. I am looking at courses to become qualified, so any recommendations for courses would be amazing! Thanks everyone!
Mate, if you're asking these sort of questions, you need to ask yourself are you up to messing with this sort of stuff, sorry to be so blunt, no offence intended.

As long as the circuit is suitably rated for the charger yes you can assuming a neutral is present. Connect to any of the three phases, neutral and earth.

Mate, if you're asking these sort of questions, you need to ask yourself are you up to messing with this sort of stuff, sorry to be so blunt, no offence intended.
I understand that, but mostly curiosity is what is driving me here. If it comes to it and I don't feel safe then I won't do it. But I can't see anything on Google, and my brain won't let me stop until I find the answer, but I see your point.

Get an electrician in. Why? Because it's safer and you will have a warranty to back it up.

If your premises catches fire and the insurance company know you#ve been doing your own electrical work then there's a good chance the won't pay out even if your work didn't cause the fire.

As Westward has stated it is possible.

Get an electrician in. Why? Because it's safer and you will have a warranty to back it up.

If your premises catches fire and the insurance company know you#ve been doing your own electrical work then there's a good chance the won't pay out even if your work didn't cause the fire.

As Westward has stated it is possible.

But won't an electrician just come and put a three phase plug replacing the single phase plug? Why isn't that something that could be done by myself?

an electrician would first test the circuit to ensure the alteration could be done safely, then give you a certificate on completion. this would absolve you from any liability should a problem occur.

Even if the rating is the same (i.e. 16a, 32a) and the supply is TPNE as opposed to TPE, it still may not be as simple as rewiring with a 3phase plug with one line connected. For example, the MCB may need changing for a different curve depending on the inrush current on startup. The existing 3phase socket was probably installed originally for a different purpose.

Operationally you would have to make your own judgement on what is safe and compliant. Us and you without the knowledge of the loads and circuits on either side cannot ensure safety.
As a simplest solution, but taking the risk that the circuit may not be suitable, buying a suitably rated 3 ph to 1ph distribution box or y cable would avoid making changes to the installation.

Reply to Single Phase Charger on Three Phase Supply in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net