Discuss Single Pole Double Throw Switch - the right solution? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thirst

-
Reaction score
I'm looking to install lighting in my garden, part of the requirement is that the circuit is hooked up to a photocell so that by default they will illuminate at night. As our bedroom window may suffer glare there will be occasions when I want to manually override the photosell and turn the lights off. Simple enough right?

The catch is that I'm security conscious and want a PIR to activate the lights should motion be detected when the photocell has been set to 'off'. So we have three states 1) Photocell active 2) PIR active 3) All off

It looks like what I am after is a single pole, double throw switch right?

Problem is I cannot find a internal 'metal clad' or exterior switch to do this? Any help appreciated.

throw.jpg

-Need a little more info, is the Photocell separate from the PIR?
-Your google copied diagram does not represent what you described as it shows 2 different lights and doesn't show the control side.

All you need to do is interrupt the photocell switch wire to the fitting with a switch while leaving the PIR on, the switch output of the PIR will be common to the switch output of the Photocell so when it gets dark and the switch is on then the light is on all night, when switched off the PIR takes over only lighting when it detects something.

Welcome to the forum.
For electrical work that switch is usually called a two way switch.
These should be readily available in metal clad or outdoor types.
You would be best to power the PIR and photocell all the time and switch the output to the light from one to the other and have a separate switch to stop all activity.

I'm sure i was shown some exterior light units,which were remote/Bluetooth switchable,from the three conditions required by the OP.

The outdoor fittings,would them only require a feed,with isolator.

What load is required to be switched?

Thanks for the help so far. The load will be tiny as the lights are 5w LED so we are talking 0.10A. I've mocked up a diagram that attempts to convey what you've suggested. Is this correct?

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 22.25.58.png

True, but the RCD will be a wall mounted type as I am taking a spur off the 32a main and therefore require a 13a fuse (British General 13A RCD Fused Spur Metal-Clad | RCD Sockets & Spurs | NoLinkingToThis - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/british-general-13a-rcd-fused-spur-metal-clad/4323p?_requestid=503059). So it will act as an isolator if need be. I may just stick a dp switch on as well tbh.

I would tend to install a double pole switch in place of the, apparently single pole, RCD you have shown.
A double pole switch means that if there is a problem in the outside lights they can be separated from the rest of the wiring easily.
Also a switch is designed to be switched on and off whereas an RCD is not intended to be a functional switch.
The wiring of PIR photocell and light is correct and would provide the functionality you described.

Reply to Single Pole Double Throw Switch - the right solution? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net