Discuss single to 3 phase inverter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dray

-
Reaction score
Hi all.
I need some direction to supplying power to an electric boiler that requires 3 phase. boiler output is 36kw. I have had a bit of a search on tinterweb and only motor supplies seem to be coming up. I'm assuming that the boiler has Three heaters and each needs it's own phase. If any of you could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks

In my experience, the single to three phase inverters I've encountered have been used for machines with much smaller and less constant draw than the 157A that your boiler needs, assuming it is 100% efficient (which many claim to be, or as near as). Have you asked the DNO to quote for a 3 phase supply?

You mean one element draws 36kw? or is it an array of elements. What is it as a matter of interest. Anyway I have looked into the idea of converters before and could not get any where near that draw and as you say they are usually for motors. The only other possibility is the wiring has provision for changing links for single phase and three phase. Or as @TonyMitchell says, get a three phase supply.

Is the 36KW just the heat output rather than the electrical requirement? We often use inverter units to power 3 phase biomass boilers. If it really is an electric boiler an inverter would not be a good idea, the single phase current draw would be enormous.

This sounds nonsensical. An ordinary electric boiler is a bunch of elements, which are single-phase. The converter would cost more than the boiler, to do nothing except waste maybe 15% of the energy consumption.

However, it's unusual to have a large enough single-phase supply to power a 36kW load (160A) so the manufacturers might not have bothered to make provision to reconnect as single-phase internally in their standard units. Need to RTFM and maybe contact them. Is this a remote installation with only single-phase HV available?

An electrode boiler is a different kettle of electrodes though.

This sounds nonsensical. An ordinary electric boiler is a bunch of elements, which are single-phase. The converter would cost more than the boiler, to do nothing except waste maybe 15% of the energy consumption.

However, it's unusual to have a large enough single-phase supply to power a 36kW load (160A) so the manufacturers might not have bothered to make provision to reconnect as single-phase internally in their standard units. Need to RTFM and maybe contact them. Is this a remote installation with only single-phase HV available?

An electrode boiler is a different kettle of electrodes though.
Yes I agree, it sounds like a 3 phase instant hot water boiler. I have fitted loads of these over the years. If there is no 3 phase supply then it would be un-economical to try and install these using a generator/converter. Depending on the application it would make more sense to install a/couple of single phase stored hot water cylinder/s.

thanks for all the replies, I have dug a bit further into what will be needed should the boiler be installed to run this system. But I think I'll give you the full story so you all have a better picture....My mother in law purchased a property over a year ago in a small rural village. The property consists of two old listed cottages joined together with a modern "extension" so it is now a 5 bed, 3 reception room, 1 huge kitchen/dinner/lounge area (the new bit joining the two cottages) and all the other little nooks and crannies that come with the house. The heating (underfloor) and hot water system is a thermal store which is fed from two separate heat sources/types. A- the back boiler fire and B two electric heaters. The thermal store needs a minimum of 32kw by design for this size house to work correctly (as informed by the thermal store engineer) , however the two electric heaters are only 9kw each, these both work together when heat is called for and the fire isn't lit, and the fire only puts out 7kw to the back boiler. These two inputs run separately from each other. So the design of the system is flawed from the start and this is why she has heating and hot water problems. We ..or I, have been trying for over a year to get companies in to solve the problem, or install a system that will work, and it has been time after time that they have pretty much either left screaming or rubbed their hands together and put forward a quote that would wipe out their mortgage payments in one go. We have had quotes in to change to gas, but with the listings on two sides of the house, and the logistics with regards to public spaces and neighbours and other bits and pieces, having a fuelled system that requires flue'ing isnt an option. So I am back to basics...what do I have? power..check what would suit my needs...this 36kw electric boiler..check how do I supply power to the boiler....ehhhh turns out install 3phase supply to the property. right got the ball rolling on that this morning, only from an enquiry side of things to start as I dont know the ins and outs of 3 phase into a domestic property. so thats the story. Dont hate me, it is what it is, and I'm just a baggy --- spark trying to please the mother in law. If I'm going about this the wrong way, then shine me a light so I can start going the right way ;)

Someone may need very deep pockets if, there isn't a 3 phase available locally or the local 3phase transformer doesn't have enough spare capacity or if the single phase supply is to be upgraded instead, the single phase transformer doesn't have the capacity.

L.P.G with an external boiler and bottles may be a possibility, subject to complying with the listing.

Or heat pump, correctly specced and designed of course.

What have the neighbouring properties got for heating?

Last edited:
An oil fired solution is worth serious consideration. We installed one last year to replace an inefficient old LPG (Calor) boiler.
You can shop around for oil to get the best deal, which we couldn't previously, as the Calor tank was theirs and the contract prohibited replenishing it by other suppliers. I did the sums and an electric boiler would have been more expensive to run.

Reply to single to 3 phase inverter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock