Discuss Sizing power cables part installed in ducts in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andy-1960

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Anybody help with the sizing of power cables when the cable is part run in a duct.

The supply in question is 630A, so it makes a big difference!

If the cable run is 40m where 8m is in a duct, do you have to rate the cable as if it was in a duct for its entire length?

Cannot seem to find any information on this anywhere.

Anybody help with the sizing of power cables when the cable is part run in a duct.

If the cable run is 40m where 8m is in a duct, do you have to rate the cable as if it was in a duct for its entire length?

start again .what type of cable is it swa or string .or do you read the regs?

Cable is XLPE/SWA/PVC run on ladder for the majority of the run, dropping down into a duct for about 8 metres. Feed is to a sub-main distribution board, fed from a Schneider NSX630A MCCB with a micrologic 2.0 trip block.
I have run this thru our Amtech (now Trimble software) but it does not give the option for a part of the run to be in a duct.. all or nothing!
I was just asking for opinions..

You either design it for the worst installation method or use two different cable sizes for the two installation methods.

All boils down to cost, ease of installation and maintenance.

Cable is XLPE/SWA/PVC run on ladder for the majority of the run, dropping down into a duct for about 8 metres. Feed is to a sub-main distribution board, fed from a Schneider NSX630A MCCB with a micrologic 2.0 trip block.
I have run this thru our Amtech (now Trimble software) but it does not give the option for a part of the run to be in a duct.. all or nothing!
is this a job planning or theory ?

You either design it for the worst installation method or use two different cable sizes for the two installation methods.

All boils down to cost, ease of installation and maintenance.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have always sized it for worst case but cable size near enough doubles when you stick it in the ground I just wanted to bounce the question in case I was missing something..

Take a look at table 4B4, software often does not take into account various depths you can go to and the appropriate rating factors.

Does it have to be in duct?

Reply to Sizing power cables part installed in ducts in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net