Discuss small building site temp distribution in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Eric M

-
Reaction score
I am setting up some temps on a small site consisting of approx 3 110 transformers 2 portacabins offices sitting on top of each other, a portacabin toilet and a portacabin drying room.
The supply is a 3 phase DB.
Im thinking use 1 phase for the trannys, 1 phase for the offices and the other phase for the loos/drying room.
My colleague says we should use just 1 phase for the toilets/drying room/offices because of the potential 400v across the phases however that would leave one phase unused and a very unbalanced load.
Any advice welcome.
cheers

acacias on a site.??? next they'll want daffodils and tulips. :juggle2:

would it not be better practice to keep all the transformers on the same phase? Although the outputs are 110v if they are on different phases couldnt that make the potentials across the 110 outputs higher between transformers? or am I overthinking this?

Balance the load, one tx on each phase, and spread the port acacias across the three phases

Would it not be better practice to keep all the transformers on the same phase? If they are on different phases wouldnt it mean the 110v outputs would be at different phases and therefore you could come in to contact with more than 110v? or am i overthinking this?

You could always use three-phase 110V RLV transformers to help keep the phases balanced.

Would it not be better practice to keep all the transformers on the same phase? If they are on different phases wouldnt it mean the 110v outputs would be at different phases and therefore you could come in to contact with more than 110v? or am i overthinking this?

I think you are under thinking here, maybe brush up on transformer theory and the basics of electrical safety.
The whole point of 110V CTE is to reduce the voltage to earth to 55V should someone make contact with one of the line conductors. The three transformer outputs will only ever be 55V to earth whatever phase they are fed from.

I think you're right, its been years since I looked at transformer theory.
I understand the max voltage to earth being 50v because of the centre tap however what about the max line to line voltage on the 110v outputs? Presumably this isnt an issue otherwise 3phase transformers wouldnt be in use.
Cheers for advice.

I think you're right, its been years since I looked at transformer theory.
I understand the max voltage to earth being 50v because of the centre tap however what about the max line to line voltage on the 110v outputs? Presumably this isnt an issue otherwise 3phase transformers wouldnt be in use.
Cheers for advice.

What about it? What fault are you envisioning that has someone coming in to contact with the line conductors from two different transformers?

What about it? What fault are you envisioning that has someone coming in to contact with the line conductors from two different transformers?

I guess its unlikely and Im just thinking hypothetically, site temp distribution isnt something that ive had to deal with before.

Reply to small building site temp distribution in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock