Discuss Smart light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

trey2005

DIY
Reaction score
Hi. Looking for some advice on installing a smart switch to a bathroom.
I have removed the switch cover and noticed i have 5 brown wires, 1 black one, 3 blue and 1 grey.
I have a one gang switch and have no idea where to put these wires.
I have a extractor fan which comes on when light switch is pressed and goes off automatically.
Been at this for 4 hours now
Please Help!!!!!!

Have you got a photograph of the connections of the original switch with which wires go where?

it sounds like you have everything you need , but as there’s so many configurations of how to wire a simple light switch, it’s difficult to advise from afar.

Have you got a photograph of the connections of the original switch with which wires go where?

it sounds like you have everything you need , but as there’s so many configurations of how to wire a simple light switch, it’s difficult to advise from afar.

Attachments

• 16180534852827491105614137837075.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 16180535210687014383738956905769.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 19

Attachments

• 20210410_121719.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 17
Can you show the smart switch terminals.

The three browns in old L1 into L on new switch. Black and brown from old switch to L1 of new switch. You then need a link from the blues at the connector in the back box to N of the new switch.

The three browns in old L1 into L on new switch. Black and brown from old switch to L1 of new switch. You then need a link from the blues at the connector in the back box to N of the new switch.

Attachments

• 16180556126904558654297449172439.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 16
Hi, just wondering, i have 2 light switches that operate one light. I am now changing both switches to smart switches. Would I need to change both switches for them to work . I have done 1 and there is power but will not switch off. Thanks in advance

Hi, just wondering, i have 2 light switches that operate one light. I am now changing both switches to smart switches. Would I need to change both switches for them to work . I have done 1 and there is power but will not switch off. Thanks in advance

First of all, how have you wired the new switch? Does it need a neutral, and did you have one at the switch position?
photographs always help here, so we know what is available to work with. It may be that your smart switches arent wired the same way as the old traditional switches

First of all, how have you wired the new switch? Does it need a neutral, and did you have one at the switch position?
photographs always help here, so we know what is available to work with. It may be that your smart switches arent wired the same way as the old traditional switches
So, I have neutral wires.

So, I have neutral wires.

Attachments

• received_241819254298834.jpeg
    397.1 KB · Views: 13
Forgive me for saying, but that is very untidy - too much copper showing outside the terminals...

Are the rightmost cables just pushed into empty holes?

Take the 3 core out of the equation just now (brown, black and grey in the same cable) and get it working from just this location.... 2 browns into "Lin", and one brown going to the light in "Lout" (guessing the terminal markings here!) Leave the blues as they are, as youve got the neutral connected.

Reactions: DPG
Forgive me for saying, but that is very untidy - too much copper showing outside the terminals...

Are the rightmost cables just pushed into empty holes?

Take the 3 core out of the equation just now (brown, black and grey in the same cable) and get it working from just this location.... 2 browns into "Lin", and one brown going to the light in "Lout" (guessing the terminal markings here!) Leave the blues as they are, as youve got the neutral connected.
Hi. Thanks, I agree. It is quite untidy and knew there were to many in there. Will try it tomorrow and will let you know. Thanks for the advice, you are all so helpful on here.

Reply to Smart light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net