Discuss Smart meters... A couple of questions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I live with my parents and have a shed/workshop down the bottom of the garden. I would like to know how much electricity I am consuming in my shed/workshop. Mainly so that I know what to pay my parents each month for the electricity bill. I'm thinking maybe a smart meter would work.

Just a couple of questions..

Would a smart meter plugged into an external building (my shed) measure the amount used in just the shed or would it measure the whole house too? The shed is powered from the house CCU and has its own CCU in the shed.

And if anyone has experience with these, can you program how much the price per kilowatt or whatever it is, into the smart meter to work out an accurate price for total use?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Phil

Just get a single phase meter and work out the cost from the displayed KWh.

As usual I would recommend this is fitted by a suitably qualified person.

A smart meter won't help you or your parents in ANY way.

As Strima says, you need a spark to install a meter on the shed supply and then you will see exactly what you are consuming.

Hope this helps

I live with my parents and have a shed/workshop down the bottom of the garden. I would like to know how much electricity I am consuming in my shed/workshop. Mainly so that I know what to pay my parents each month for the electricity bill. I'm thinking maybe a smart meter would work.

Just a couple of questions..

Would a smart meter plugged into an external building (my shed) measure the amount used in just the shed or would it measure the whole house too? The shed is powered from the house CCU and has its own CCU in the shed.

And if anyone has experience with these, can you program how much the price per kilowatt or whatever it is, into the smart meter to work out an accurate price for total use?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Phil
Quick question what exactly are you up to in this shed of yours?

You can get meters that would go in line with the feed to the shed and they're not too dear. Some will need an Electrician to fit, others seem to just clip on a cable. I've not tried them but here's something to read up :)
TSE009-002 | OWL Wireless Electricity Monitor | OWL - http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/8724666/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Automation_And_Control_Gear-_-Panel_Meters_And_Components-_-PRODUCT+GROUP&matchtype=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIitGI2tW01wIVJyjTCh0wEQw9EAQYASABEgKOi_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Smart meters... A couple of questions IMG_0865.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

How is the M/B workshop supplied, cable size, load etc could be with all that equipment you may need some form of bonding, but without eyes on it's very difficult to say.

the easiest is the clamp on RF unit, like wilko's pic. it works like a clamp ammeter and the RF unit tells you what you are using instantaneously and also over a period of time. it's a simple fit but youdo need to be able to access either the line or the neutral conductor alone.

Yeah thanks for the help. I thougt I'd seen some clamp around jobbies somewhere. I'll have a read up on them. And quoting Pete999, cabling is 10mm twin core earthed at the shed.

Underground, connected to mcb in house CCU and then to CCU in shed.
Is the Twin and earth in conduit? you are talking PVC/PVC cable the same as you would use internally

Haha... No swa armoured doh.. Lighten up man! These people online always trying to pick problems, if you read the title and my original post you'd know that I was asking for help about smart meters.
Sorry just trying to be helpful, only you did mention twin core earthed no mention of SWA just making sure it was done properly. Makes you wonder sometimes

Reply to Smart meters... A couple of questions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock