Discuss Smoke/heat alarms, linked or not in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Ive been looking at Approved document B (Fire safety), cause im not sure if a smoke alarm in recent extension needs to be linked to a additional heat alarm in the existing adjacent kitchen. The new extension is adjacent to the old kitchen and no doors separate the two rooms.

Approved document B says (page 13, 1.13) "where the kitchen area is not separated from the stairway or circulation space by a door, then there should be a compatible interlinked heat alarm in the kitchen, in addition to whatever smoke alarms are needed in the circulation space".

So if anyone can help, what is a circulation space, is the circulation space in the room next to the kitchen ?, and does the smoke in the extension need to be linked to a new heat in the kitchen ?

Bear in mind that the kitchen is existing (but has been rewired), and the extension is a new addition. Cheers

You or the client need to ask the BCO
Apparently the customer has been told this by a BCO, although im not sure he's a council one or an independent (i.e graduate who has no clue). On the face of it the two rooms are next to each other, so if either alarm goes off independently it will be heard. I get that if smokes/heats are across more than one floor then its common sense to interconnect, but not if the room are adjacent. The approved doc B is not easy reading either; i dont know who to trust !

Circulation space in terms of fire protection will refer to hallways and landings or space which links defined rooms.

Circulation space in terms of fire protection will refer to hallways and landings or space which links defined rooms.
Thanks westward, thing is the entire kitchen area and new extension is open plan, by that i mean theres no doors, hallways, or any independent space linking the rooms. So in affect it could be considered the entire thing is one big room (except its not really because its an L shaped extension), and the kitchen is obviously a kitchen (for obvious reasons).

You could just ignore the problem ................ but my crystal ball sees the customer blaming you if the BCO changes his mind

Get it in writing

As far as I know, all smoke & heat detectors should be linked together (wiring linked & radio) and be of the same make.
How is the existing wired eg off lighting circuit or dedicated circuit?
are they all linked and what make?

Without seeing it or a good plan it is difficult to say. So are you saying the entire ground floor is essentially one room.

This is how its panned out so far; in November a friend asked me to wire a new extension; an addition to the rear of the house.

I wired the extension and fitted a mains smoke alarm. All the while the old kitchen was still in use.

After the extension was complete the customer asks for kitchen to be rewired, I ask about the lights and recommend a heat detector be fitted. Customer says to wire kitchen first before lighting and heat, which I have now completed (in fact completed in December last year). The lights and heat are yet to be fitted.

The customer contacted me this week and says BC will not sign off the extension until the kitchen is fitted with a heat alarm that needs to be interconnected to the smoke in the extension.

Now, I have no problem fitting a heat in the kitchen, but what gets me is that the BC has said it needs to be interconnected to the smoke in extension. Even if there is no heat in the kitchen atall, I dont see how BC would not sign off the extension due to the fact that the kitchen is existing (although it now adjoins the new extension), however the kitchen has been made bigger by using up the old living room by removal of an internal wall. I will try to post a drawing.

This is the layout

Smoke/heat alarms, linked or not {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Tbh, I would always look to interlink, even if building control didn't require it. Just think it makes for a more robust system.

On your layout what is south of the new kitchen do you have to go through the kitchen to get to the front door? if so it is the escape route that's why they would ask for a alarm. I once had to go to a two-story extension for my old employment and as they only had battery smokes and interlinked smoke detectors had to be fitted.

I would say it definitely needs a smoke detector there as there would be no vision panel from the wc to see a fire occurring and heat detectors are essentially decoration.

Tbh, I would always look to interlink, even if building control didn't require it. Just think it makes for a more robust system.
Just to add they need to be all interlinked as if one went off in another part of the building you would need to know there was a fire to get out before it reaches another part of the building.

On your layout what is south of the new kitchen do you have to go through the kitchen to get to the front door? if so it is the escape route that's why they would ask for a alarm. I once had to go to a two-story extension for my old employment and as they only had battery smokes and interlinked smoke detectors had to be fitted.
Yep South of the kitchen is the hall that leads to front door. I recommended the kitchen has a heat fitted, its if it needs to be interlinked with the smoke in the extension thats what im on about.

Just to add they need to be all interlinked as if one went off in another part of the building you would need to know there was a fire to get out before it reaches another part of the building.

But if the heat went off in the kitchen, or the smoke in the extension it would (or vice versa) it would be difficult not to hear as one would be less than 10meters from the other.

I would say it definitely needs a smoke detector there as there would be no vision panel from the wc to see a fire occurring and heat detectors are essentially decoration.

True, heats are a compromise. If we only had smoke detectors in residential premises, (even more) people would disconnect them due to nuisance alarms from the kitchen sensor; so better a heat than smoke or nowt!
Op, just interlink it and be done ;>}

Reply to Smoke/heat alarms, linked or not in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock