Discuss Smoke/heat alarms, linked or not in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

The problem I see here is the wc, had that not been there the extension would not require asd as there is clear unobstructed vision to the kitchen. What has essentially been created here is a circulation space through the extension for the route from the wc and hence it needs to be linked.

The problem I see here is the wc, had that not been there the extension would not require asd as there is clear unobstructed vision to the kitchen. What has essentially been created here is a circulation space through the extension for the route from the wc and hence it needs to be linked.
Well thats just total overkill imo, the same could be said about a broom cupboard. If someones sitting on the throne and theres a fire in the kitchen, they would hear the kitchen alarm going off, theres no doors and its about 15 paces from A to B

Bottom line under Approved Doc B, heat detection in the kitchen needs linking to the smoke detection.

Well thats just total overkill imo, the same could be said about a broom cupboard. If someones sitting on the throne and theres a fire in the kitchen, they would hear the kitchen alarm going off, theres no doors and its about 15 paces from A to B
The problem with ahd is that it is not an effective means of protection for an escape route, often by the time one is activated the fire is probably getting out of control. I assume the hall has asd.

Thanks Westward, thats some extrapolation of building control I was unsure about till now, !
See 1.13 of said document which I think you have done where circulation space is referred to and although strictly speaking this does refer to hallways and landings the wc has allowed the extension to become so and hence linking is required. I am somewhat surprised the wc location was approved without a door in the new extension to lead to a place of safety.

The problem with ahd is that it is not an effective means of protection for an escape route, often by the time one is activated the fire is probably getting out of control. I assume the hall has asd.
What is asd ? The hall has no alarms. When I wired the the extension I fitted the mains smoke and issued the EIC and notified it. At that time the kitchen was a non starter until further notice, so in that respect ive done nothing wrong.

Then I wired the kitchen, issued Eic, but customer says to wait for lights and heat alarm, so i notify it anyway. Thats wrong to notify it then in this instance.

Last edited:
See 1.13 of said document which I think you have done where circulation space is referred to and although strictly speaking this does refer to hallways and landings the wc has allowed the extension to become so and hence linking is required. I am somewhat surprised the wc location was approved without a door in the new extension to lead to a place of safety.

There is a door leading out to the garden in the new extension, as well as patio doors round the corner. I did not draw them in the sketch.

There is a door leading out to the garden in the new extension, as well as patio doors round the corner. I did not draw them in the sketch.
Escape route leading out to the street.It is no good into the garden which is classed as a closed space probably with a locked back gate.

It's not the builder's fault they rely upon us electricians to tell them we are at the end of the day are supposed to up to speed with all this.
Still the builders dont help sometimes; so another question. If in the future a one room extension came up, then it would not be enough for me to install a single smoke in that room; I would in effect be possessing the entire building in relation to fire escape routes and would need to install alarms where needed, even if they need tobe installed in a remote part of the building from where im doing the main work. ?

Still the builders dont help sometimes; so another question. If in the future a one room extension came up, then it would not be enough for me to install a single smoke in that room; I would in effect be possessing the entire building in relation to fire escape routes and would need to install alarms where needed, even if they need tobe installed in a remote part of the building from where im doing the main work. ?
You are in this case refer to building regs and fire detection/alarms in domestic dwellings. It used to be the case (maybe not now) but building regs only required S/D for escape routes whereas B.S. used to include kitchens and habitable rooms eg lounge. I believe the case is that where an extension is being done smoke detection would need to be installed to escape routes which may part of the existing dwelling.

If said extension is being done with BCO involved ask them ......

Don't rely on what Bob the Builder says .........

Reply to Smoke/heat alarms, linked or not in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net