Discuss Amendment 2 smoke alarms and SPD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

newfutile

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I know this has been brought up before but as a QS for a housing association ,i have been asked my opinion on interpretation of the regulations concerning SPD with smoke alarms (assuming they are a safety service).

several scenarios exist here :

1. Upgrading or updating existing alarms (ie :eek:ut of date or wrong type)
2. Upgrading installations to LD2 (mostly adding a optical smoke ) usually in the lounge (hallways,landings and a heat in kitchen is the state of most of our properties).
3. New installations on existing property’s (usually from lighting circuit ) with radiolink
4. A full fire panel install in a HMO.

Probably the best and safest option is to install but this could require a Consumer Unit change or isolator with SPD which will involve the DNO (long delays usually).

does anyone have any ideas or opinions regarding this?

1. Upgrading or updating existing alarms (ie :eek:ut of date or wrong type)
Like for like replacement of expired smoke alarms or replacement for correct type is basic maintenence and no need to worry about SPDs

2. Upgrading installations to LD2 (mostly adding a optical smoke ) usually in the lounge (hallways,landings and a heat in kitchen is the state of most of our properties).
Again basic maintainence and as long as the installation is maintained to at least the same standard as it was before you started then carry on.

3. New installations on existing property’s (usually from lighting circuit ) with radiolink

I'd say that as it is a very simple modification, and the benefits of a proper smoke alarm system clearly outweigh the risks of not having an SPD, that you get in with installing the smoke alarms.

4. A full fire panel install in a HMO.

A full fire alarm system is beyond the scope of bs7671 and is subject to its own BS.

If it's a new build SPD's should be fitted as standard nowadays along with RCBO boards. As stated before, if it is an existing property and they already have smokes installed, like for like doesn't require an EIC therefore negating an SPD. If you are installing a new circuit/ alteration you will as it's supplying a safety device/s. This is the problem with our industry, regs are open to interpretation too often because of their wording of the regs.

If it's a new build SPD's should be fitted as standard nowadays along with RCBO boards. As stated before, if it is an existing property and they already have smokes installed, like for like doesn't require an EIC therefore negating an SPD. If you are installing a new circuit/ alteration you will as it's supplying a safety device/s. This is the problem with our industry, regs are open to interpretation too often because of their wording of the regs.
And dont forget that the RCD will prob need upgrading to Type A

Reply to Amendment 2 smoke alarms and SPD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net