Discuss Smoke alarm placement in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Steve T

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm helping my friend do up an old house he bought a couple months ago and obviously we need to have mains powered smoke detectors installed. I'd just like to ask a couple of questions about the type we need and their placement.

Firstly the upstairs landing is literally about 1m^2 and the only other upstairs room is a bedroom with an ensuite so does it make more sense to have the smoke detector in the bedroom or on the landing?

Secondly, to quickly describe the downstairs there's a small hallway and, a lounge to the right, and to the left there's a dining room, and coming from the dining room there's another bedroom with an ensuite and finally a kitchen. I'm thinking for downstairs we need a heat alarm in the kitchen, and an optical alarm in the hallway at the very least. Do we also need one in the bedroom and the lounge or would that be over the top?

Thirdly, the lounge, dining room, bedroom and kitchen all have wood burning fires so should those rooms all have carbon monoxide detectors? If so is it just better to have a combination mains powered smoke and CO detector in each room? Of course that would be a nice option but also seems a bit over the top and would get a bit expensive...but if its required so be it.
Would be great to hear what you guys think would be an appropriate solution.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

CO in every room with a flue or fuel burning appliance.
Upstairs, I'd say smoke on the landing (as opposed to Smoke On The Water, which is totally different!)
Heat in kitchen downstairs, smoke in hallway, smoke in lounge as a minimum...the rest is up for discussion and assessment...sometimes the minimum requirements are just too minimal...use of rooms, frequency of occupation, and a huge dollop of common sense

Reply to Smoke alarm placement in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock