Discuss Smoke alarms - Complete rewire - Cannot find any regulations/law in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

U

uxb443

I have just completed a complete rewire on an average 1960's 3 bed semi.

Inspector chap has just been round and said to get signed off I need to install 2 smoke alarms and one heat alarm in the kitchen, because there is no door, and they all need to be interlinked.

He couldn't quote me the appropriate regulation or law and I wasn't going to press the point as some people make bad enemies!

I have spent an hour trawling through 17th regs, OSG, Part P, and Part B. I cannot find any reference that says you HAVE to do it.

- Customer is more than happy with two new battery powered smoke alarms.
- There were NO smoke alarms at all when I started.
- There is no other building work being done. Just the rewire.
- I know what the inspector says is best practice.
- It's not a massive amount of work.
- The customer just does not want the expense!
- It is usually best to KNOW what the requirements are!

Can someone please tell me:
A) Does such a regulation/law exist?
B) What is the reference number/page number/document reference/title?

The rule used to be in Part Pesh, "All new and refurbished properties are to have mains powered smoke alarms"
Something like that anyway.
Every time I've prepped quotes for rewires I've just included them anyway and said nothing to the customer. You have the floorboards up anyway and the labourer/apprentice (if you have one) is going in the loft already so it's not that much extra work to install them at the time.

i think you will find it's a building reg not a electrical reg. i cannot remember the exact wording but it's something like every normally habitable space. kitchen hallway/landing and living room.

I've had a look in Part B again and yep it clearly states 'New and Refurbished' properties. (Thanks Trev).

Rewiring is definitely not refurbishment.

So, at the moment, it looks like there is no legal requirement or regulation.

Unfortunately the BC officer is god in this situation. I would stop worrying and as Trev says, just bung em in.

11.50 each for two aico ionising mains alarms, a few metres of 3 core and earth, and an hour or two.

taking the inspector on will end in the same result as suggested above

Last edited by a moderator:
found it this is scottish regs but yours will be similar.
[FONT=&quot]Therefore, in order to provide a fire detection and fire alarm system that should[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]alert occupants to the outbreak of fire a Grade D system should be installed in all[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]dwellings, comprising of:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• at least 1 smoke alarm installed in the principal habitable room[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• at least 1 smoke alarm in every circulation space such as hallways and landings[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]and[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• at least one heat alarm installed in every kitchen.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A principal habitable room is a frequently used room by the occupants of a[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]dwelling for general daytime living purposes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Every inner room [/FONT][FONT=&quot]and adjoining access room should be provided with an[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]additional smoke alarm to give the occupants early warning. Where the access[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]room is a kitchen, the type of detector should be carefully considered to reduce the[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]likelihood of false alarms.[/FONT]

Rewiring is definitely not refurbishment.
That's the second time you'll be wrong today then:)
A rewire is classed as a refurb mate. Best advice is don't get into a willy measuring contest with the building inspector, A You'll lose B He'll remember it and next time your paths cross he will jump all over you.
Shove the smokes in, smile sweetly, thank him for his time and move on.

Slightly over the top.
Once interlinked alarms go off, you know about it!

it used to be hall and landing now their insisting on living and kitchen, won't be long and it will be like hmo one in every room.
last year they wanted me to put one in the hall cupboard of a rental because there was a fridge freezer in it.

it used to be hall and landing now their insisting on living and kitchen, won't be long and it will be like hmo one in every room.
last year they wanted me to put one in the hall cupboard of a rental because there was a fridge freezer in it.

Was it a Beko?!!!

Smokes save lives and a mains interlinked with battery backup is far better than individual battery units. Agree with advice re B.C.

Reply to Smoke alarms - Complete rewire - Cannot find any regulations/law in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net