Discuss Heat alarm needed in kitchen? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pretty Mouth

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Bungalow, existing property, owner occupied. Front door opens into hallway. Kitchen is separated from the hallway by a door. Kitchen also has a external door leading to garden.

If installing to minimum building regs requirements (Grade D2 Category LD3), does the kitchen need a heat alarm?

My old building regs book shows a diagram that suggests no heat alarm needed in the kitchen (the kitchen in said diagram has an external door), but it's 17th edition so a bit outdated.

LD3 states alarms in circulation spaces that form part of escape routes,this includes loft conversion,landing and hall only.

we usually install to LD2 which includes high risk and the principle habitable room as well as LD3.
THIS

As a bare minimum for domestic homes you need a linked smoke up in the loft ( if its a habitable room ) , landings / stairwell and entrance hall

On a full re-wire I will always aim to get a heat in the kitchen but its not essential

This is the problem when a customer knows a little too much.

They will have been told that it’s not needed, which it isn’t according to the standards, but if you suggest it’s a good idea to have one, they think you’re just trying to rip them off with unnecessary work.

I’m glad I work in Scotland. They’ve standardised every home, owned or rented, to a minimum level that exceeds LD3

Yes, it's easier in Scotland, for sure. I usually install to LD2, with a wee bit of "extra" LD3 in there if there are numerous possible "escape routes". However, in a recent job there were 4 possible escape routes and I agreed with the client to cover 2 of those, front and back, as the likelihood of escape being barred was negligible.

The latest BS5839 - for an existing owner-occupied bungalow, recommends Grade F2 LD3 as minimum - and says they normally "need to be interlinked".

As already mentioned, Grade LD3 is defined as "a system incorporating detectors in all circulation areas that form part of the escape routes from the premises."

It seems that a kitchen doesn't count as a "circulation area", even if it is on an escape route from the premises.

From the book - "circulation area : area or space (including a stairway) used mainly as a means of access between a room and an exit from the building or compartment"

It also states that "(i.e. heat detectors should not be used in any Category LD3 system)"

So technically it would not be needed to meet the minimum standard as defined by the new BS 5839, which I guess is the most recent relevant document and would be the one Building Regs cross reference.

Doesn't mean it's not a bad idea, of course.

Bungalow, existing property, owner occupied. Front door opens into hallway. Kitchen is separated from the hallway by a door. Kitchen also has a external door leading to garden.

If installing to minimum building regs requirements (Grade D2 Category LD3), does the kitchen need a heat alarm?

My old building regs book shows a diagram that suggests no heat alarm needed in the kitchen (the kitchen in said diagram has an external door), but it's 17th edition so a bit outdated.
just bang a heat in there as long as it is 500mm from the wall its ok and your room is no longer than 5m if its your house then you can do what you want if your living in it or just ask the fire brigade they give away free wireless fire angel devices now,or do what ive done and put a proper fire alarm in your house ....no more wafting the detector with a t-towel i just silence it

Reply to Heat alarm needed in kitchen? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net