Discuss So what brands are we all using for power tools? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Used to use Makita then my kit packed up and also had some bits stolen from a site.

I have some Hilti tools, and I have a few Makita 230v and 110v tools still.

However most of my kit is made up of the Erbauer EXT range. In all honesty it's what I could afford at the time and for the price of their tools with the 2 year warranty at any screwfix it was a no brainer for me.

And they have lasted a while already and been through the wars being put through their paces of 1st fix, various maintenance and install jobs.

Pretty happy with them to be fair they have surprised me

Dewalt 18 volt which does me. Mainly because a previous employer didn't want a lot of it back...

DeWalt 18 volt for me too, used a driver and drill in some fairly wet conditions once due to needing to get a days work done on a roof - when in came an incredible down-pour! Wiped them off afterwards and put them next to a boiler in the kitchen overnight; tested them the next day, no problems at all! Been using them ever since.

Committed down the Dewalt route now. Accumulated a few batteries now so able to buy bare units. Have a couple of the 54v tools but recently one of the batteries has started playing up and not charging. Anyone else had similar problems?

I committed to Makita a few years ago and currently have over ten 18v tools. I have decided there pretty poor.
Most of them have broken and had to be repaired or completely burnt out. Last purchase was the 481 drill - paid about £150 body only it is absolutely dreadful! can’t stand using it.

If I had the money I would replace it all with Hilti,
Prob going to move over to Bosch next.

Having said that I have access to the De Walt 54V
grinder and recip at work and they are solid well built bits of kit with mains performance

I committed to Makita a few years ago and currently have over ten 18v tools. I have decided there pretty poor.
Most of them have broken and had to be repaired or completely burnt out. Last purchase was the 481 drill - paid about £150 body only it is absolutely dreadful! can’t stand using it.

If I had the money I would replace it all with Hilti,
Prob going to move over to Bosch next.

Having said that I have access to the De Walt 54V
grinder and recip at work and they are solid well built bits of kit with mains performance
I'd always used Makita but my recent experience with them is shocking too. And they're expensive.

The little 12v impact driver i've got is pretty good with a full battery but the cordless equivalent is the worst drill i've ever used aside from a green Bosch. The chuck came loose so you can literally swivel it around and it never fully bites on a bit, always fall out as you're working. Shocking and battery life is terrible too.

Considering i'm not using it for anything heavy it's a disgrace really. Will never use them again. I had a crappy Pro Tools hammer drill that literally broke up concrete all day every day without problems. It only failed when i dropped it up a ladder and the handle smashed off, and even then with some tape it kept going for a while before finally the hammer function wouldn't stay on anymore. I think it was like 40 quid new or something.

DeWalt 18V here, for the stuff I use most. However, I am a fan of some of the cheapo stuff too.
I have a planer, a mini router and 2 drills from Ferm. One of the drills is a 24V battery job that's probably 10 years old or more, but of course the batteries died ages ago and i don't think spares are available. However, it took a battering and was pretty effective. The other is a 240V SDS which has broken up concrete and done lots of tough jobs and just keeps going, all for £49., so it owes me nothing.

DeWalt 18V here, for the stuff I use most. However, I am a fan of some of the cheapo stuff too.
I have a planer, a mini router and 2 drills from Ferm. One of the drills is a 24V battery job that's probably 10 years old or more, but of course the batteries died ages ago and i don't think spares are available. However, it took a battering and was pretty effective. The other is a 240V SDS which has broken up concrete and done lots of tough jobs and just keeps going, all for £49., so it owes me nothing.
thought you'd be more into spades, lockpicks and angle grinders fordigging up and pillaging treasure chests, and marlin spikes. and i bet you smoke Capstan Full Strength.

Last edited:
No, I get the crew to do the digging, then I "finesse" the booty (!).
and yes, many years ago i did actually smoke Capstan Full Strength...now THAT was a proper ciggy!

Yea it’s the chuck that really annoys me too!
Every single hole you drill the bit falls out,

I have all Makita 18volt. I love their gear. Powerful, have had them a good few years, batteries great but now you say that I've suddenly realised the bit falls out of the combi drill everytime I use it. Happens that much I've blanked it out of my concious haha.

Reply to So what brands are we all using for power tools? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net