Discuss socket and switch box cutters. Any good? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking at the best tools to buy for chasing out and for sinking back boxes. Wall chasers are too heavy and dusty.

What does everyone think of the box cutters that go onto a SDS drill? (As seen in screwfix) Erbauer EBS Single Box Cutter

I am looking for something that makes this part easier. I have been using a multi tool for the plaster layer then a drill to go into the brick. looks neat but is so time consuming. Any suggestions gratfully received.

Anything but brick. As most modern houses are made of blockwork most jobs should be OK. Did some sockets in a house built in 1830, good old bricks held together with lime mortar, any form of vibration had them falling into the wall cavity so slow drill with hammer mode off and gently coax the brickwork out, that was fun...

Last edited:
I use Makita wall chaser with hoover, SDS wide chisel for the box, normal sds chisel for the channel after the chaser and a rounder chisel for going into the voids.

the chaser can be used directly on the box point for depth to speed things up and if the wall is being replastered. might have a look at one of those armegs.

I have the Thorsman version. Well made but the little allen screws holding the pilot drill in place keep on falling out despite me putting thread sealant on. The pilot drill has now broken and I have lost the allen screws. I may get the spares one day but I am ot missing it

It works great on block, is OKish on soft brick and not much use on hard brick.

I find the chaser better to set the depth (with vacuum cleaner) or a core drill to do the same and then an SDS chisel to finish it off. If the mortar is soft you can make more cuts so there is less chiseling.

Anything but brick. As most modern houses are made of blockwork most jobs should be OK. Did some sockets in a house built in 1830, good old bricks held together with lime mortar, any form of vibration had them falling into the wall cavity so slow drill with hammer mode off and gently coax the brickwork out, that was fun...

Strima out of interest what sort of cavity was it ? cavity wall construction as far as I know only took off in the 1900's, having been in the building trade for 25+ years I was curious mate.OP sorry for the high jack
J

Strima out of interest what sort of cavity was it ? cavity wall construction as far as I know only took off in the 1900's, having been in the building trade for 25+ years I was curious mate.OP sorry for the high jack
J
Worked out the depth as a nine inch wall so not a huge gap, falling in was a bit of an extreme phrase to use. It was originally a brewery managers house with stable and tac room out the back, it looks like the property had been extended and added to over the years to the point of not knowing where the original fabric was, the north side of the building had it's floors roughly twelve inches lower than the southern side and the roof apex looked to hint towards the northern part being an addition.

It was an interesting job, I love working on old properties but haven't found that illusive box of gold watches or ---- gold in the loft yet... :lol:

Years since I used one , only any good in block and as messy as F (means as much muck as you can get) they may have changed since then , but I would'nt want to use one except on a new build.

Worked out the depth as a nine inch wall so not a huge gap, falling in was a bit of an extreme phrase to use. It was originally a brewery managers house with stable and tac room out the back, it looks like the property had been extended and added to over the years to the point of not knowing where the original fabric was, the north side of the building had it's floors roughly twelve inches lower than the southern side and the roof apex looked to hint towards the northern part being an addition.

It was an interesting job, I love working on old properties but haven't found that illusive box of gold watches or ---- gold in the loft yet... :lol:

Found a WW1 bayonet once in a town house under boards, left it there for posterity . loads of wasps nests too lol.

Reply to socket and switch box cutters. Any good? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock