Discuss Socket height on an extension in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

stevie h

Hi Lads :)

Do i have to put sockets at a min of 450mm on an extension wire i,m doing , or can i match the rest of the original ones in the house which are at 350mm

Cheers

Ste

Hi Steve

My advice would be to do it at 450mm then you have no come back. Explain to the customer that it is regulation. Hope this helps

i thought it was only on new builds , already 1st fixed them matching the original ones at 350mm , just wanted to double check in case the guy from building control say anything

Cheers all :)

I think the regulation is that in an existing installation you can't make it worse. IE, if they are mounted at 250 you can raise them, but you can't lower them.

As far as I am aware Building Regs requier the switches and sockets in NEW DWELLINGS to be installed at a height so that persons whose reach is limited can use them. My opinion is that an extension is not a new dwelling so you should be ok matching the height.

Under Part 'P' (thats P for PANTS by the way) You are perfectly entitled to instal the sockets at a height in keeping with the existing property - unless the extension is specifically for a disabled person.

Had this discussion with local NIC area engineer last week and pi**ed him off coz i was right and he wasnt! Even got two pints out of him! Hows that for a result?

Sparks 1 NIC 0. Well done Dinosaur.

Good to see you haven't got food poisoning after your meal last night.

Hope the cricket bat is now redundant!!!!:D:D:D

The food was fantastic, and desert was even tastier! Think it was the strawberries and champers that did the trick - and the wine glasses!

Im having a great weekend - need a rest now, thankfully the boss is off next week!

Hi, just going through this myself, starting extension this week and the new OSG (I've managed to get one) states that socket outlets and controls throughout the dwelling should be between 450 - 1200 mm. However, if a dwelling is rewired then there is no requirement to provide these measures proving that the building is no worse in terms of level of compliance with the other parts of Schedule 1 to the Building Regs. (Page 64 para 7.5.1). I am treating the extension basically as a rewire, and will match the socket and switch heights for the rest of the house. I hope I'm reading it right, but I can't see any builidng inspector noticing - I've seen some real cr*p passed recently (not electrical fortunately). Hope this helps.

Hi ElectricMick

Have a look at the first sentance in section 8.6 page 161 in the new OSG. This should give you a written argument with building control. Crucial words "new dwellings"

Put the sockets where the client wants them, that's all you have to do. They the crazy police will not sue you, sure they like to make noises but thats all they are 'noises' Regulations are advisory, they are not cast in stone. Tell them to ****-off, so long as you don't install a socket next to a bath/shower, you can install in the floor or on the ceiling. Tell them to bollox, and get a real job

The food was fantastic, and desert was even tastier! Think it was the strawberries and champers that did the trick - and the wine glasses!

Im having a great weekend - need a rest now, thankfully the boss is off next week!

I may be off Mr Dinosaur, but Shakey's all seeing eye is watching over you.........:D

you can run but you cant hide......;)

Reply to Socket height on an extension in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock