Discuss Socket not working anymore. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I will see what cash I can get together as I have seen this: Kewtech KT117 True RMS Digital Multimeter 600V - https://www.screwflix..com/p/kewtech-kt117-true-rms-digital-multimeter-600v/5205p

Would that be okay?

I will see what cash I can get together as I have seen this: Kewtech KT117 True RMS Digital Multimeter 600V - https://www.screwflix..com/p/kewtech-kt117-true-rms-digital-multimeter-600v/5205p

Would that be okay?
for what purpose?

The first tool that you need is a voltage indicator and proving unit. Once you have that you can prove that something is safe to work on, but you can also use it to test where you have voltage and where you don't.

In this case the smoking gun is that both the socket that isn't working and the light that maybe isn't working are fed from a socket that you've recently changed so that is probably a good thing to look at in your investigations. Three wires are more difficult to terminate than two and so a bit more care is needed. However, this does pose the question as to whether it is a ring final circuit you're working on as an unfused spur can only supply one accessory.

The first tool that you need is a voltage indicator and proving unit. Once you have that you can prove that something is safe to work on, but you can also use it to test where you have voltage and where you don't.

In this case the smoking gun is that both the socket that isn't working and the light that maybe isn't working are fed from a socket that you've recently changed so that is probably a good thing to look at in your investigations. Three wires are more difficult to terminate than two and so a bit more care is needed. However, this does pose the question as to whether it is a ring final circuit you're working on as an unfused spur can only supply one accessory.

Right okay. I will start with a Voltage Indicator and Proving Unit. See how much they are. I have got my FCU also. Well it could be a ring final circuit, as all of the sockets downstairs are on one mcb. There is another for the boiler and one for the old immersion heater, that we no longer have. I will check the mcb rating to see if it is a ring.

But that fcu for the light has not been used for a number of years. Its an old alleyway light, that was put in. The additional socket for the tv was added a year ago. All were working okay. I will check the connections for the socket with the new faceplate on, just to see if there are any issues. A bit of sheath in the terminals. The kewtech socket tester did not report any issues and all three lights were green. It is an odd one, for me being new its experience of trial and error and asking questions.

Right okay. I will start with a Voltage Indicator and Proving Unit. See how much they are. I have got my FCU also. Well it could be a ring final circuit, as all of the sockets downstairs are on one mcb. There is another for the boiler and one for the old immersion heater, that we no longer have. I will check the mcb rating to see if it is a ring.

But that fcu for the light has not been used for a number of years. Its an old alleyway light, that was put in. The additional socket for the tv was added a year ago. All were working okay. I will check the connections for the socket with the new faceplate on, just to see if there are any issues. A bit of sheath in the terminals. The kewtech socket tester did not report any issues and all three lights were green. It is an odd one, for me being new its experience of trial and error and asking questions.
Checking the Breaker (OCPD) will not prove the circuit is a Ring Final (RFC) to prove it is a RFC You need to carry out the appropriate dead testing.

(

Do some basic dead testing and draw out the circuit as you go. See what is connected to what. Post your diagram on here when you've done it.

Are you OK doing basic continuity tests once you have a meter? Do you own a copy of guidance note 3?

OP you could try looking at the YouTube videos on Testing etc, the guy I sent you a video of is very good, there are many equally good presenters in there, worth a look if you are really interested, give it a bash.

Do some basic dead testing and draw out the circuit as you go. See what is connected to what. Post your diagram on here when you've done it.

Are you OK doing basic continuity tests once you have a meter? Do you own a copy of guidance note 3?

I’ve got the regs and an OSG. Where would you get GN3 from?

OP you could try looking at the YouTube videos on Testing etc, the guy I sent you a video of is very good, there are many equally good presenters in there, worth a look if you are really interested, give it a bash.

Thanks Pete. I’ve seen a few of Chris’s videos before. They are really good. I will have a look at them.

So I spoke to my tutor yesterday and luckily they went through safe isolation and then how to test a 3 phase distribution board. I have seen this kit on ebay: Socket And See SP200 proving unit And Socket & See Voltage Tester VIP Pro | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Socket-And-See-SP200-proving-unit-And-Socket-See-Voltage-Tester-VIP-Pro/293104145650?hash=item443e5e54f2:g:JIEAAOSwKotc69r5

Would that be okay as it seems to be a good price, but I have never heard of the brand. Or shall I just look at a Megger?

Megger:

So I spoke to my tutor yesterday and luckily they went through safe isolation and then how to test a 3 phase distribution board. I have seen this kit on ebay: Socket And See SP200 proving unit And Socket & See Voltage Tester VIP Pro | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Socket-And-See-SP200-proving-unit-And-Socket-See-Voltage-Tester-VIP-Pro/293104145650?hash=item443e5e54f2:g:JIEAAOSwKotc69r5

Would that be okay as it seems to be a good price, but I have never heard of the brand. Or shall I just look at a Megger?

Megger:

Aa long as the kit complies, but Kewtec for me.

Reply to Socket not working anymore. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock