Discuss Sockets minimum heights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

baldsparkies

My first question (Please be gentle) :D
I have a customer looking for a complete re wire no problem there exept they are insistent on the sockets being no more than 300mm from finished floor level.

Now I must stress the property is some 30 years old so its not new build ,as far as I am aware I can see no reason why I cant accomodate there request, not so if it were new build because of building regs 553.1.6 and section 8 of document M.

I cant find any referance that would tie older properties to the above regulations and would therefore consider them exempt, also I can see no problem at a 300mm height with cord strain access or reach.
The property is not on any known flood plain so I feel safe to go, However now I have joined this group of fellow sparky's I would appreciate your thoughts and comments on this.

Thanks in advance lad's and lasse's.

Hi Mate

If you are doing a rewire nothing to worry about however on a new install sockets must be a minimum of 450mm from the finished floor level and on top of work tops the centre of the sockets must be a minimum of 150mm from that surface

Hope that helps

Chris

Thinking about it the only time 300mm and sockets are mentioned as far as I can remember is the minimum distance away from the sink, so providing its as per the above post I dont see a problem

Chris

Hiya,
My reading of a Part M is also that you don't need to worry as long as it "does not make the building less satisfactory to Part M than it was before"
Good luck.
Andy

Well, from what i can see in Part M, it males no reference to either new or old dwellings.

Unless im missing it somewhere..

Its page 137 of the building regs book just above the piccy and states The guidance given in Approved Document M applies to all new dwellings and goes on to say if a building is being rewired their is no requirement etc etc. I would think what they are saying is no need to move them but if you are moving them from the original location for whatever reason then the 450mm from floor level applies.

Hope that helps

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, from what i can see in Part M, it males no reference to either new or old dwellings.

Unless im missing it somewhere..

Also section 8 of approved document M under the heading Where the requirements apply,
0.1 New Buildings

The reqiurements apply where a building is newly erected or has been substantialy demolished to leave only external walls.

Also referance in the onsite guide appendix 8 8.6 refers to new dwellings.

I cant find any referance to older buildings though jason, so fairly confident the customer can have their 300mm height without contravining any regs.

One company turned the job down because of this. Said it was against 17th edition regs but I think they have got it wrong.

There loss could be my gain can,t afford to turn work down these days not without getting facts right;)

However they could be right if you are moving the sockets from their original location the only way you are going to solve this one is speak to building control as they are the ones that will quote the 17th regs at you if you do it wrong and may even take it to court.

Chris

Also section 8 of approved document M under the heading Where the requirements apply,
0.1 New Buildings

The reqiurements apply where a building is newly erected or has been substantialy demolished to leave only external walls.

Also referance in the onsite guide appendix 8 8.6 refers to new dwellings.

I cant find any referance to older buildings though jason, so fairly confident the customer can have their 300mm height without contravining any regs.

One company turned the job down because of this. Said it was against 17th edition regs but I think they have got it wrong.

There loss could be my gain can,t afford to turn work down these days not without getting facts right;)

Thanks chaps.

Thats my problem.

I need to learn to RTFM.

I generally only scan them when required:D

Did a lot of reading last night and it does look good to go.Most of the sockets are at 300mm now so really cant see a problem there. The odd sockets in the skirting boards are a definate no no, but those can be raised to the hieghts of the other sockets ie 300mm. In fairness moving the sockets upwards from the skirting boards could only be deemed an improvement on the original install.
Many thanks to all guys for your input, very often when new regulations come into play, you find its not what they say that causes confusion its more what they dont say.
Thanks again

Reply to Sockets minimum heights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock