Discuss Solar panel and pond pump in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a solar panel which I want to use to power a pond pump. This is what I have so far:
100W, 12V solar panel
12v 9Ah lead acid battery
50W, 12V pump
And a solar charge controller (12V, 10A).

The pump runs perfectly off the battery.

When I connect it all together on the controller, the controller shows a "short circuit" error. What's going wrong? Is there too much charge? I can only assume I've got the wrong controller.

Hi - can you tell us the controller make / model? Just guessing, but perhaps the battery is looking to pull more than 10A from the controller. If you’ve a car battery charger you could try charging the battery fully (by itself overnight say) and then reconnect it the next day.

I recommend;
Replace the 9Ah battery for a leisure battery.
Install a change over switch, don’t be running the pump whilst charging the battery

In theory... the setup you have sounds sensible... but can you do a quick diagram of how you've wired them up ? Also pics of the data plates for panel and controller would be useful.

No harm in charging and running at the same time... boats do this all the time...

I agree that the battery is very small Charlie... needs a bigger one for sure... and I'd want something to disconnect the battery once it's voltage drops too far...

I agree that the battery is very small Charlie... needs a bigger one for sure... and I'd want something to disconnect the battery once it's voltage drops too far...

I would be looking at 100Ah to 200Ah leisure battery as this will be able to accept the full 8A of charge current from solar panel without problems.
also, 50W pump will draw 4 Amps approximately,
this equates to 96Ah if left on 24 hours.

if you get 10 hours of sunlight at 80% of the panels full rating that equates to 67Ah of charge.

you either need a timer to run the pump only for 12 hours a day maximum or twice as much solar panel area to stand a chance.

Hi,what is the pump doing,exactly?

I would be looking to reduce that pump load....it's using the same as one car headlamp :)

t is just like the traditional electric pump with the only exception that it uses solar. It consists of one or more solar panels, also known as solar photovoltaic. Incurs low maintenance costs as solar water pumps have fewer moving parts as. If it is an open well, pond, etc, then usinga surface pump is better. We solar rooftop system dealers to solve those problems

Here is a mains-powered option
Solar panel and pond pump Pond - EletriciansForums.net

If it's a cheap controller there might be a diode between the + and - outputs to detect reverse polarity and protect against short circuit.

If this diode has been subject to a high current fault it may have blown.

As suggested can you post a picture of your wiring diagram?

Agree with changing the battery, dont see the point of using that size battery,
Dont agree with the changeover switch.

If it’s a big enough battery it doesn’t need to be charging whilst running the pump. The change over switch will just switch the pump on whilst taking the battery off charge

This is another solution, for sprinklers on a golf course, so relevant to a pump for a pond.
What happens is the screwnuts and that black cylinder get wet when it rains, causing a short and stopping the sprinkler from firing up. Later, when everything dries up, it is obvious that the greens need water, so the sprinkler turns on. Simple.
Solar panel and pond pump sprinkler - EletriciansForums.net

The gate valve is supported by a custom moulded concrete block, and the solenoid is cleverly balanced on a strategically placed, erm...bit of concrete...which is wedge shaped, to allow easy regulation of height.

I should point out these are everywhere on the course...the only downside is that the cables often get pecked by the peacocks...

If it’s a big enough battery it doesn’t need to be charging whilst running the pump. The change over switch will just switch the pump on whilst taking the battery off charge

Still dont see what your gaining. Why would you stop it charging if say pump run time was during the day. Seems a very unnecessary idea!

Reply to Solar panel and pond pump in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock