Discuss Solution to a C2 - No CPC on lighting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've tried to research and form a plan without asking on here, but I'm just going around in circles.

Just completed an EICR. The wiring ranges from new metric colours to old imperial cable.

There are 2 lighting circuits, both containing class 1 fittings. Most of the fittings have a CPC, but there is no continuity to the MET in the consumer unit.

The CU is extremely cluttered and I simply can't be sure if there is actually a CPC leaving the CU with the lighting circuits. I cannot gain access to the beginning of the conductors where they leave the sheath. One of the lighting circuits has imperial cable in the circuit breaker, the other has metric (tinned copper). Meaning the cable is 51+ years old assuming no imperial was used after 1972 and tinned copper being replaced by untinned from 1967-1970

I realise this is clearly a C2, but is the only solution to rewire?

If the wiring system is pre 1966 and no CPC was required, I don't believe there is any requirement in BS7671 to automatically have it upgraded to current wiring standards. Of course there are now class1 fittings. Will removing these class 1 fittings then bring the code to a C3? Again, there are CPC's to most lights, my worry would be that a DIYer would simply put up a class1 light again, even with a danger note on the CU.

I really can't see this being an option, but I just wanted to be sure before I tell the customer they need a partial rewire.

Cheers all.

If they have installed class I fittings I would not be making alterations by replacing them don't become part of the situation, don't forget class II cannot be used as a means of protection in a dwelling. My opinion is a rewire being the solution.

If they have installed class I fittings I would not be making alterations by replacing them don't become part of the situation, don't forget class II cannot be used as a means of protection in a dwelling. My opinion is a rewire being the solution.
I thought you would say that Westward. The only only slight change to my last very similar thread, a year or 2 ago, was the possibility that a CPC may not have initially been installed on the circuit. Thanks for your opinion.

What was the EICR for @HappyHippyDad ?
I'm not really sure of the exact details, but the customer is selling. They are purchasing another house but there is some kind of middle man (company) involved which is facilitating the sale. This company insists upon a satisfactory EICR to be accompanied with the sale.

I realise this is clearly a C2, but is the only solution to rewire?

Pretty much yes, there is the option of installing a CPC to every point but that's as much work as rewiring so might as well rewire.
If the wiring system is pre 1966 and no CPC was required, I don't believe there is any requirement in BS7671 to automatically have it upgraded to current wiring standards.

The date it was installed doesn't matter, you are carrying out the EICR to the current regulations. It is potentially dangerous so you report it as such.

Will removing these class 1 fittings then bring the code to a C3?

In theory yes, but unless you can absoloutely guarantee that your customer won't just put them back up again then you're just creating a false sense of safety.

You would also struggle to justify this as remedial action after an EICR as you would still have a circuit with no CPC.

Again, there are CPC's to most lights, my worry would be that a DIYer would simply put up a class1 light again, even with a danger note on the CU.

I completely agree, people ignore notices and signs. I was in the supermarket the other day when the fire alarm went off and everyone just carried on shopping as if nothing was happening.

In your situation you have an additional issue on top of the no CPC, you have bare unearthed conductors in the cable.
On Tuesday I was doing EICR remedials for a customer, one of which was to sort out a 3 core+earth FP type cable (so the same basic construction as t&e) where the black core had been used for a CPC and the bare earth core left coiled up in the DB.
I checked for any voltage on the bare earth and there wasn't any and you couldn't feel anything when you touched it but every time it made contact with the metal DB there were small visible sparks. I put this down to ghost voltage and carried on but it is worth thinking about.

I'm not really sure of the exact details, but the customer is selling. They are purchasing another house but there is some kind of middle man (company) involved which is facilitating the sale. This company insists upon a satisfactory EICR to be accompanied with the sale.
Perhaps they are part-exchanging their old house for a new build? A friend who did this also had to provide a satisfactory EICR.

In this instance, I'm inclined to agree with @westward10 and @davesparks . With the CPCs being present at fittings, it's likely plastic or class II's will be replaced with class I's.

I just had a look through the best practice guides, 1 and 5. They both seem to say it's a c3 if class ii but warn caveat it with the likelihood of being changed to class 1. Similarly, code breakers have class ii without CPC as a C3.

I think a C2 is fair and upgrading it is long overdue.

I just had a look through the best practice guides, 1 and 5. They both seem to say it's a c3 if class ii but warn caveat it with the likelihood of being changed to class 1. Similarly, code breakers have class ii without CPC as a C3.

I think a C2 is fair and upgrading it is long overdue.

But this isn't a circuit with CPC, this is a circuit which has a CPC with no continuity to the MET.

Ignore any pressure or sob stories of needing a satisfactory EICR for whatever reason. Report on the installation exactly as it is at the time of the inspection, don't go opening yourself up to any liability.

Leave planning the remedial action until after the EICR is completed otherwise you risk that influencing your decisions on the EICR.
Approach with the mindset that the remedials will be carried out by another contractor,

I checked for any voltage on the bare earth and there wasn't any and you couldn't feel anything when you touched it but every time it made contact with the metal DB there were small visible sparks. I put this down to ghost voltage and carried on but it is worth thinking about.
I've had it with leakage current, with 120V ish floating and only 0,08mA there was still quite a spark.
But this isn't a circuit with[out a] CPC, this is a circuit which has a CPC with no continuity to the MET.
True. I see that quite a bit with downlights not being terminated correctly and it's definitely a good point.

I've been caught out before where the lights weren't earthed and no labels on the CU. With DIY and people not testing it could easily go unnoticed.

I've had it with leakage current, with 120V ish floating and only 0,08mA there was still quite a spark.

True. I see that quite a bit with downlights not being terminated correctly and it's definitely a good point.

I've been caught out before where the lights weren't earthed and no labels on the CU. With DIY and people not testing it could easily go unnoticed.
You have to remember these notices are not prescribed by BS7671, in my opinion a poor solution to a situation which should be given urgent attention.

I have a situation my gf mother's house was built in the late 50,s, although pvc cables the lighting circuit has no CPC, a few class 1 fittings have been put up, have said needs rewiring but the old girl is 90 years old not interested have had to do some mantaince like for like as such all I can do is replace with class ll fittings. Rewiring is the only solution.

It's always an interesting topic.
If no CPC at all, in the past I have run a 4mm CPC to every point and replaced the switch drops. I probably wouldn't do that any more as since the advent of Quinetic gear it's a better solution to stick some quinetic gear in the airing cupboard and run new feeds to the lights. Sometimes there's an old immersion circuit ready and waiting to power it.

A CPC with no continuity (as already stated) is a different kettle of fish. While you could work out where the breaks are and add 4mm CPC to the relevant points so all the points are earthed again, the reason for the lack of continuity hasn't been found and that doesn't sit right with me as there could be a dangerous reason behind it.
So at a minimum it would have to be a new cable from the board to as many points as required for there to be a continuous CPC again.
If it's a 'junction box' lighting install this becomes a right pain very quickly!

A CPC with no continuity (as already stated) is a different kettle of fish. While you could work out where the breaks are and add 4mm CPC to the relevant points so all the points are earthed again, the reason for the lack of continuity hasn't been found and that doesn't sit right with me as there could be a dangerous reason behind it.

The issue is the time to identify the CPC fault versus simply biting the bullet and rewiring.

You might be able to use a wander lead around the switches and lamps and establish that most CPCs are linked, and just the CPC to some junction missing so one run of 4mm might fix the lot, but that would be a very optimistic outcome!

The issue is the time to identify the CPC fault versus simply biting the bullet and rewiring.

You might be able to use a wander lead around the switches and lamps and establish that most CPCs are linked, and just the CPC to some junction missing so one run of 4mm might fix the lot, but that would be a very optimistic outcome!
...and that it could soon end up costing more than a circuit rewire, a bit of a gamble and you're still left with the old wiring.

Reply to Solution to a C2 - No CPC on lighting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock