Discuss Some times I really feel sorry for some clients in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thanks for your replies guys (and girls).

I'm actually hoping that they wil find a cash monkey to do the "bodge" so I'm not associated in any way!

so youre not going to help them out ?
what a nice man :-/

Tbh, I don't help anyone out if it involves breaking the regs. I often help people out by supplying materials at cost or reducing my rate, but not if it involves compromising my standards.
I know this has been said before, but never assume that just because they are old, they are poor. I have come across many elderly living in rags with their heating down low, then I speak to their children who moan about the cash they have stashed and won't spend.

alexander has conferred with sergei. siimplees.... moveno cooking machine to the 2 feet to left.

Tbh, I don't help anyone out if it involves breaking the regs. I often help people out by supplying materials at cost or reducing my rate, but not if it involves compromising my standards.
I know this has been said before, but never assume that just because they are old, they are poor. I have come across many elderly living in rags with their heating down low, then I speak to their children who moan about the cash they have stashed and won't spend.

that post is worthy of a facepalm of epic proportions.
i hope that you can still afford such high principles on a state pension.

And don't presume that just because they are old they are not poor. In some cases, I would agree. However, in todays society, if choosing between moaning 'children', who think they are owed something for nothing, and oap parents, I know who I'd believe in most cases. Best case scenario, do things correctly but try not to leave them in the ****, unless they deserve it.

Makes you wonder why the ignition system needs a mains connection, it ain't that hard to generate a spark from a battery source! Lazy manufactuers.

If they're an elderly couple I'd do the bonding for material cost only....coz I'll be there in a few more years :)
that cooker has an electric oven/gas hob

Min hieght to any combustable item or otherwise above as Gas hob is 750mm , 650mm Elec , I think they where more concerned over the lead , ie glass getting hot / melting lead . Nothing stopin them using an extention lead if they want to from another source . Ps if its not fitted and gased in , Whats the pan for ?? pmsl , Just blank it of for them ,,,,,,,, Also what are comet doin providing a new appliance with no piggin plug ?????????????

Last edited:
I'd put in writing any extra work (like the bonding) quoteing the regs and potential dangers if the extra work wasn't carried out adding a quote for the extra work to be done.That way (in my mind) the customer then has the option to have upgrades done at a later stage or straight away.

I realise by the regs we have to do this, that and the other but i still personaly think it's morally wrong to literally force people to spend far more than they'd ever expect to 'move a socket so they can cook a meal'.

Do the job that's been asked for (in this case move the socket) and quote for earthing to meet the reg's in writing...to me this is how it should be......I didn't become a sparks to force more cash out of people's pockets by using the regs to force them into having more work done....it's thier money and thier option how to spend it.

Obviously is something is an immediate danger they either pay for it to be repaired correctly or i leave it disconnected.

nice thoughts, but you simply can't do work on an installation where the bonding is non-existant. you either do it for cost, or walk away, knowing that some muppet will come along and leave them with a potentially dangerous situation.

Its a difficult one, the problem is if an electrician refuses to do it then a half wit does it instead, what is more dangerous?

As it only involves moving a socket that is already there its not adding anything, do it, test it, get them to sign a note on a minor works to say they refused additional work after it was explained to them. If they were asking you to add new circuits or extra sockets then that would be different.

agree in part. still would like to do the bonding, though.

I would agree with Drew, you can only expect them to pay for what they want. Any paperwork issued would have to state that bonding is incomplete etc and client refused to upgrade and acknowledges the safety implications.

A rock and a hard place I know but what can you do? Give them a reasonable quote for the bonding work and ask them to get a few other quotes, the ball is in their court. No jury would convict if you pointed out any potentially dangerous installation and the owners refused to act on it.

No jury would convict if you pointed out any potentially dangerous installation and the owners refused to act on it.

but if an old dear died, the relatives ( beneficiaries, leeches) would say that they begged you to make it safe and you refused/ said it wasn't necessary, whatever. another few grand in the probate pays for funerals.

that post is worthy of a facepalm of epic proportions.
i hope that you can still afford such high principles on a state pension.

biff, insult me all you like, but after 26 years as an electrician (7 self-employed) I know exactly who I am and what I am comfortable doing. My personality just doesn't allow me to ignore regs and bend the rules. It's who I am, and if that means I end up poor and destitute in my old age, then so be it.

No jury would convict if you pointed out any potentially dangerous installation and the owners refused to act on it.

but if an old dear died, the relatives ( beneficiaries, leeches) would say that they begged you to make it safe and you refused/ said it wasn't necessary, whatever. another few grand in the probate pays for funerals.
Then it's a case of proving it, if you had paperwork stating that they refused to upgrade then your arse is covered. One big thing in law is evidence, they would really need to have some!!!

Every case is different, but there are only two ways I approach something like this:
1) Do it to the regs and if I have to spring for the bonding to get it done that way then I do.
2)If it's too much work or money for me to provide the required FOC then I politely decline the work and explain why.

It doesn't happen very often, but in both cases it will shave a few quid off my year. However, in both cases I can sleep soundly with my principles (and professional reputation) in tact.

Reply to Some times I really feel sorry for some clients in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock