Search the forum,

Discuss Sorry, another bathroom zones question! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mk1rob

Hi

ive had a quick search but can't seem to find a definitive answer. I'm just wondering if zone 2 is up to 600mm above zone 1 above a bath or shower?

I've seen a few diagrams showing that it is:

image.jpeg

but looking in the on site guide it shows it isn't:

image.jpg

Above 2.25m is outside zones even above the shower. So going by this its ok to fit an IP20 downlight above the shower if its a 2.4m ceiling?

Ignore diagram 1, it's wrong. I have seen that one before included in manufacturer's instructions and its wrong. Use the regs or OSG advice.

Further to your IP20 downlight 2.4m above a shower...... The zoning in section 701 would not require the IP ratings for the zones to be used as it would be outside zones.

Section 512 deals with external influences
512.2.1 Equipment shall be of a design appropriate to the situation in which it is to be used or its mode of installation shall take into account the conditions likely to be encountered.

In a bathroom external influences are rising water vapour and splashed water. I fit IP44 minimum downlights in all areas of bath and shower rooms regardless of zones.

Thanks andy78! I think I'll always fit IPx4 lights in future wherever they are in a bathroom as I have been fitting standard IP20 lights up to now going by the OSG zones diagram. To be honest I've not really considered external influences regs but will in future! Seems some regs contradict others?

Thanks for the help guys!

Reply to Sorry, another bathroom zones question! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back