• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Spd & 18th..............,,,,,, in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bigspark17

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
So am i correct than reg 443.4 means unless we provide a risk assesment that states why we are not using a spd in consumer unit changes then we must fit one??

Chris Gardner

EF Member
That’s how I interpret it.

Not sure how you can carry out a risk assessment however because it states that you have to do a calculation with the different lengths of each element of the distributions various cable lengths.

Lpal, Lpcl, Lpah & Lpch

Other than asking the DNO not sure how these can be determined.

So I guess the only real way is to add type 2 devices to each CU adding £200+ to each job?

buzzlightyear

please let me back in to the prison cell.
Electrician's Arms
So am i correct than reg 443.4 means unless we provide a risk assesment that states why we are not using a spd in consumer unit changes then we must fit one
if only applies to commercial only .
wait until the Chinese get their act together the price will drop.

bigspark17

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
if only applies to commercial only .
wait until the Chinese get their act together the price will drop.
How do you come to that.. nowhere do i see commercial only???!!!

Saw that proteus are now building spd spaces as norm into cu’s.

buzzlightyear

please let me back in to the prison cell.
Electrician's Arms
those numskulls at the IET ,come up with those ideas .fitting them to a domestic consumer unit it will be like building the ISS .;)

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.