Discuss SPD requirements for additions and alterations. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi
Apologies if this has been covered.
With the extension of the requirements for Surge Protection, I am unsure as to whether this is only for new installations and DB changes, or if the regulation also applies to alterations or additions in the same way as RCD protection.

My thinking on this is that it dose as the regulations don't stipulate that they are not required on existing installations.

Interested in your thoughts and opinions on this.
Brendon

Here is my take, you are correct in your understanding. However, I would probably consider asking the customer and completing the calculation for an existing installation if the customer was on TT. Even for a new board change, the customer can choose not to - make sure you document this decision on the cert. We have to take care now that any damage caused to the installation by over voltage or effects of a lightning stroke (as opposed to a lightning strike - which is NOT covered by an SPD) could result in the home insurance policy trying to pass the buck and blame the lack of SPD on us. Be honest, factual but pragmatic and cover yourself.

As an aside I would prioritise changing type AC RCD's to type A for some circuits that could suffer from DC leakage current. Lots of the 'offer' boards on sale are dumping the type AC RCD types in them.

L4erence Thats great.
I have been noting on certs the refusal and making the customer aware i have done so.
To be honest i haven't been doing the calcs as i assume getting the relevant data from the DNO would be a non starter. Is this the case or have you had better luck.
On TT i have assumed it would be required regardless.

I have seen RCD dumping with all main manufacturers. You only get type A with the boards integrating SPD’s at the moment.

Have a read through of chapter 44.
In particular for quick reference; 443.5 & fig 44.2, and ascertain the CRL for each job - wont take long :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Whilst were on the subject; might just be the conspiracy theorist in me.. but why have we been lumbered with this responsibility?
I got involved in a lightning strike job a couple of years ago where a load of kit had been destroyed..
The homeowner was attempting to seek compensation off our one and only DNO, successfully...
I'm not sure whether this is something that happens around the UK but if it does then these new set of regs suits the DNOs very nicely..
Their cable coming into the properties from all their respective kit but its down to us to provide protection.. I find it absurd tbh

Hi
Apologies if this has been covered.
With the extension of the requirements for Surge Protection, I am unsure as to whether this is only for new installations and DB changes, or if the regulation also applies to alterations or additions in the same way as RCD protection.

My thinking on this is that it dose as the regulations don't stipulate that they are not required on existing installations.

Interested in your thoughts and opinions on this.
Brendon[/QUOTE
Where SPD Protection may not be required
Regulation 443.1Table 443.2
Where SPD protection is required
Regulation 443
Further info can be found on page 39 18th edition OSG

Reply to SPD requirements for additions and alterations. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock