Discuss Spur for heated towel rail and shower pump in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to run a heated towel rail and a shower pump from the ring main.
I've had to open up the floor in the en-suite bathroom to run the pipework and can see cables running through the joists.
Obviously I need to confirm that these are indeed cables for the ring main but once that's done what's the best way to spur off of these?
It would need to be a maintenance free connection, I have the option of using Wago or I could buy a couple of Ashley J803 32A junction boxes (one per spur of course).

Cheers

Hi,
I want to run a heated towel rail and a shower pump from the ring main.
I've had to open up the floor in the en-suite bathroom to run the pipework and can see cables running through the joists.
Obviously I need to confirm that these are indeed cables for the ring main but once that's done what's the best way to spur off of these?
It would need to be a maintenance free connection, I have the option of using Wago or I could buy a couple of Ashley J803 32A junction boxes (one per spur of course).

Cheers
MF JBs Mate as you will be using them under the flooring.

You can't spur them both at the same point without suitable circuit protection. Best bet is to incorporate them both into the ring final circuit, the circuit will also require additional rcd protection. The alterations will also require notification under Part P of the Building Regulations.

is the circuit rcd protected?
can you spur off a socket on the other side of a wall?
2 devices ( towel rail and pump) need 2 separate spurs from the ring, not a single junction.
edit,

@westward10 has beaten me to it with a more thorough and better response.

Cheers for the replies.
There is a socket on the landing that backs onto a cupboard so I can take a feed from that and up the back of the cupboard wall into the loft space.
It is powering my house alarm at the moment via a fused spur.

Can I change it to a double socket to give me a bit more room and then take two additional feeds off of that for the towel rail and the shower pump?

There is also a feed available for the immersion heater which is on its own circuit in the airing cupboard.

Cheers again

On this occasion, I think it is a job for a professional.

You seem unwilling or unable to answer about rcd protection

It will be a pain for you to do it right by notifying building control and getting them to accept your test results and certification.

There is more to this job than connecting a few wires to make it work.
That is before we have even considered isolation, bonding, bathroom zones etc.

By far the best thing would be to employ a local electrician to ensure that this is done correctly and safely.

@westward10
Thanks for that, I have an electrician booked to check/certify but just wanted to get on and run the cables in a way that would be compliant whilst I wait to get on with other work.
Given that this will all be checked and Part P certified, is my plan to run off the socket on the landing valid or should I just wait for the electrician?

Cheers

Reply to Spur for heated towel rail and shower pump in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net