Discuss Star delta Pump motor - Doesn't work clockwise but Works anticlockwise in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

u913206

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I'm having a problem with a 20 HP pump motor from a hydraulic press to try molds.

When we energized the machine, it starts with star correctly but when it changes to delta, pump motor stops. The breaker doesn't strip and fuses were ok.

Video (clockwise rotation):

We interchenge 2 phases, to inverse the rotation of pump motor. Starts with star and the change to delta, and works everthing fine. Obviusly, it was the wrong direction so there was no pressure in system.

Video (anticlockwise rotation):

After that we try changing again 2 phases to reverse the rotation and get pressure. It works for 3 min well and we could have pressure to make movemente in the hydraulic press. After that it starts all again, every time we try to start, pump motor works with star connection but when change to delta it stopped. The breaker doesn't strip and fuses stills ok. If we chagen rotation of pomp motor, star delta works fine.

Photos and drawing:

Anyone know what is happening? I'll appreciate your advice.

If this was working before then it could be that something is adding extra load to the motor when going the correct direction.
I would guess something is up with the hydraulics that is making the motor work harder, a sticky valve or restriction or something maybe.

As it works in reverse when the hydraulics aren't building pressure the motor is probably OK.

Depending upon how you have wired the windings
it is possible to have it so when in star, everything is ok, change to delta and each winding has 0v across it although there is 400v available at the motor terminals.
i.e.
Line contactor

L1 L2 L3
A1 B1 C1

star contactor joins A2 B2 C2
motor turns

delta contactor
L1 L2 L3
A2 B2 C2
motor stops, no current flows although everything is Live.

correct in this case would be
delta contactor
L1 L2 L3
B2 C2 A2

If this was working before then it could be that something is adding extra load to the motor when going the correct direction.
I would guess something is up with the hydraulics that is making the motor work harder, a sticky valve or restriction or something maybe.

As it works in reverse when the hydraulics aren't building pressure the motor is probably OK.
Hi Dave,

I was thinking the same, but if there is an overload, why breakers or fuse doesnt't activate? When I check electric drawing the only way to turn off the motor is using emergency push buttom or the breaker (overload).

Star delta Pump motor - Doesn't work clockwise but Works anticlockwise 1665844170287 - EletriciansForums.net

Depending upon how you have wired the windings
it is possible to have it so when in star, everything is ok, change to delta and each winding has 0v across it although there is 400v available at the motor terminals.
i.e.
Line contactor

L1 L2 L3
A1 B1 C1

star contactor joins A2 B2 C2
motor turns

delta contactor
L1 L2 L3
A2 B2 C2
motor stops, no current flows although everything is Live.

correct in this case would be
delta contactor
L1 L2 L3
B2 C2 A2
Hi James,

Thanks for reply. I'll check what you said.

As comment, we didn´t touch the wiring of windings. This machine was working fine 5 years ago, the owner left to use for financial problems and it was stoped until now. The idea of this purchashing was just plug and start to work, but we have this problem.

we try changing again 2 phases to reverse the rotation and get pressure. It works for 3 min well and we could have pressure to make movemente in the hydraulic press.
As comment, we didn´t touch the wiring of windings. This machine was working fine 5 years ago
These two statements seem to rule out the otherwise plausible explanation given by James in post No.4, but I will mention another possible problem with motor connection errors. If the delta contactor is wired with incorrect sequence (rather than the correct sequence shifted around, as James showed) e.g.:
L1 L2 L3
A2 C2 B2
Then when it switches into delta two coils remain energised in parallel between two lines, while the 3rd coil is short-circuited. This causes very heavy overcurrent on two lines and should rapidly trip the overload relay.

When the motor cuts out, are the contactors releasing? If so, my suggestion is that the control circuit has been rewired so that the overload relay is also in the coil circuit, instead of just operating a warning lamp as shown in the drawing. I would test with a voltmeter across the overload relay contacts to prove whether they are opening as the machine stops.

If this is true, then anything that can trip the overload relay could be responsible. Mechanical overload, correct mechanical load but a faulty coil in the motor, one contact open-circuit in the delta contactor, even malfunction of the overload relay. The best test here is to compare the three coil currents under different conditions. Do you have a clamp ammeter you can put round each motor winding lead in turn?

Finally, is the supply voltage sagging due to a faulty connection upstream, so that the control supply is unable to hold the the contactors in when the mechanical load increases?

So those would by my tests:
1) 3 line voltages under load
2) 3 coil currents in star and delta
3) Does the overload relay operate at the moment the machine stops and does the opening of its contact release the contactors?

Reply to Star delta Pump motor - Doesn't work clockwise but Works anticlockwise in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock