Discuss Starting up my own company in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Currently in the process of setting up my own company while still being employed. I am a 18th edition Approved Electrician in Scotland. I looking a bit of information to which courses or qualifications that would be required for me to go out and self certify the work I’m doing. I’m already aware of the 2391-52 I&T but is there anything else?

Hi Mate

I am 19 years old and currently an automation maintenance engineer (3 year BTEC/NVQ LVL3 apprenticeship) at a large industrial firm and hold 18th edition wiring regs along with the C&G2391-52 certificate. I have always wanted to start up my own business due to all the perks it comes with and perhaps do some contracting work abroad (once this whole covid thing is over).

I have not yet started setting up my own company but doing research into how I could go about it and what kind of experience I would need, perhaps any recommendations on the next steps I should take? I don't have any experience working on domestic installations, just large industrial 3 phase machines which I carry out maintenance, fault diagnosis and inspection/testing.

I feel like were in quite the similar position in the sense that I would like to set up my own company whilst being employed.

Regards
Jay

Not sure about Scotland but guessing its the same as England, have a look at competent persons schemes requirements.. I think there is either domestic installer (Not sure of requirements for that) or electrician which you need NVQ 3 and 18th edition, to be assessed as doing EICR's you need 2391. More importantly for domestic though you need some building skills as you will be taking up floorboards, relaying carpet, plastering etc etc.

I started up my company back in march, I am semi retired but wanted to keep my hand in. I am more than busy enough for what I want at the moment but have to be honest if I was relying on it as a fulltime job the work just has not come in, there is a lot of competition in my area, I am sure I could do more marketing and get more work, but its not a bad shout to stay employed as it can take a while to get your name around and at the moment being in lockdown I have had no phone calls in the last couple of weeks.

As for starting the company its not cheap going it alone, you need all the tools (min 3-4k), a van, insurance and cps (around 1k). Some starting stock, things like wagos etc etc etc (1k). Then you have to think no pension, no holiday or sick pay and when you finish at the end of the day you can spend another 3hrs unpaid work doing invoices, paperwork, ordering parts, looking at new jobs etc. I am not trying to put you off, I have another property company and even I was surprised at just how much unpaid time I end up working.

I would recommend Coconut for a limited company account as its free and pandle for doing invoices etc again cause its free.

If you're 18th Edition and approved there's nothing stopping you from certifying your own work domestically or commercially.
The issue you might run into commercially is contract managers only looking to take on sparks that have their I&T tickets and certifications.

And domestically, the NICEIC and SELECT have become so common that if you don't have them, your average customer might see it as a negative, but it doesn't stop you from certifying your own work.
That being said, customers love a trust badge, so being able to stick on SELECT/NICEIC on the van is a plus, but itll set you back a grand £+ a year.

There are a lot of good reasons for going your own way, but it is not easy.

If you have a partner who can help out with the paper work, invoicing, etc, it makes a big difference as that is tedious but has to be done. No invoice and you won't get paid. Forget tax returns and HMRC will be down on you and can make life seriously difficult. Get an accountant and listen to them on the likes of accounting software (Xero, Quickbooks, etc) to make it easier for you.

It can be stressful due to the lack of back up if you are ill, on holiday, etc, but make provision for it - you have to have a pension, etc, in place and plan for holiday time. Also you have to be looking at earning roughly double what you think you need to live on, as after tax/NI, pension and other allowances (insurance, professional fees, van costs, calibration and tool upkeep/replacements) you can look at 25-50% of your earnings vanishing.

While I don't do this professionally, a number of electrician jobs are far easier if you have a mate/apprentice, but taking someone on is a big responsibility. However, if the work is there it is well worth taking a serious look at that. Again, ask an accountant about the details.

But if it is workable overall, you get to be your own boss and can deal with things your own way!

Reply to Starting up my own company in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock