Discuss Steam room lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

ses

-
Reaction score
hi all

Having to replace two IP65 spot lights that someone fitted in a steam room
The lights failed badly

Struggling to find lights that will fit the cutout 75mm or cover it surface mounted which are steam room approved

Seem to need to be IP68 and heat resistant

Any one got any ideas or previous experience in steam rooms

Section 703 (Special location) of BS7671 wiring regs covers the electrical equipment requirements of a sauna.

I would think that you may have problems in upping the rating for steam room lights since manufacturers tend to go for the minimum.
IP65 should be able to cope with water jets under a reasonable pressure and the steam room will not be under high pressure.
If you were to go for IP68 then I would be looking for hot tub lighting that is designed for high temperature and you may find some that is 125°C rated, though again a hot tub will not reach above 60°C at max.
What was the failure mode of the lights you removed? were they suffering from water ingress? and were they positioned sensibly.

The lights were IP65 low voltage spot lights
Main failure was corrosion to bezels and lamp failure

I spoke to collingwood about led spot lights and they did not reccomend fitting them in a steam room

I purchased from Halo (steam room supplier) 2 led steam room spots for ÂŁ237 and they turned out to be KRS IP65 led spots worth ÂŁ30 so sent them back

Struggling to find something suitable

Most companies seem to fit fibre optics but this is already built and tiled
I was thinking maybe a polycarbonet IP66 bulkhead might be suitable

Just fit a basic sauna bulkhead and ensure it is sealed against the wall so that moisture does not get behind it.
I can see that LEDs might get too hot in a sauna/steam room, which is why they use the fibre optics.
Sauna products do tend to be overpriced, presumably because anyone who can afford a sauna has too much money anyway!

If the Halo supplied ones were the same as the KRS at ÂŁ30 each then couldn't you supply and fit these, if they are good enough to be supplied by a steam room supplier then they are good enough for the steam room. Just don't charge the customer ÂŁ237!

Reply to Steam room lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net