Discuss Strange crimp connector for BT phone power in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TheJay

-
DIY
Reaction score
I have an adapter which plugs into the mains and on the other end has what looks like an RJ11 crimp connector, but the clip is oriented to the left rather than the middle.

I want to shorten the cable as it is far too long and had anticipated simply cutting the appropriate amount of the lead and putting a new RJ11 crimp connector on the end. However, a standard one does not fit!

Can someone please tell me what the correct crimp connector is called, where I can get new ones and which crimping tool will work?

The crimp connector I am referring to is on the left of this image.
https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/q5Rl8ZU.jpg

Thanks for your help.

The offset RJ connector is commonly used in telephone equipment and elderley people's alert systems. It prevents people getting the connections the wrong way round. I could send you a couple for free, but obviously you wouldn't have the correct crimp tool.

I would personally just hank the cable and secure it with a couple of small cable ties. Would save any hassle. Or posibly hide it in some mini trunking, maybe the mini d-profile stuff?

Have a look at this and see if it is ok for what you need. ÂŁ27

You're gonna spend 30-50 quid on an offset crimping tool just because the power cable is too long.... that's some serious OCD. :eek:

I'd go the other way around and open up the power supply on the other end of the cable, desolder the cable inside, cut it to the right length then resolder it.

Handy safety hint, don't attempt any soldering without unplugging it first :D

Unfortunately there aren't any screws in the plug, it looks like it has been glued as suggested above. I would seriously consider spending around ÂŁ20.00 on a crimping tool as it may come in handy in the future.

DPG, I might try to crimp manually like in this video:

Would you still be happy to send me a couple of these offset DEC crimp connectors? I'd be ever so grateful.

I think he's going to use the hammer and screwdriver approach.

I've tried soldering in the past and never had any luck, I managed to find some crimping pliers for DEC for ÂŁ13.00 including postage and DPG has been kind enough to offer me some DEC crimp connectors.

I do have crimping pliers for other connectors and this will complete the collection.

Yes, it's on eBay from China. I know that means a wait, but hopefully, at that price and the fact that they look robust, it will be worth it.

4P4C 4P2C RJ11 RJ12 RJ45 DEC Cable Network Crimper Pliers Modular Crimping Tool 713095349540 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/4P4C-4P2C-RJ11-RJ12-RJ45-DEC-Cable-Network-Crimper-Pliers-Modular-Crimping-Tool/272089952996?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

$_12.JPG

Modular crimping tool.

For crimping modular plug: 10P10C, AMP 8P8C/RJ-45, 6P6C/RJ-12, 6P4C/RJ-11, 4P4C, 4P2C plugs and DEC/OFF set plug-6P6C.

For archiving purposes, if you try to view the link and the content has gone because you are looking at this in more than 180 days, the seller is called hersmay2015.

Those are excellent, so much quicker and easier (only if you have enough room around the core), also useful for straightening distorted cores!

Others have suggested opening the supply and shortening at that end. And we've determined that it's a glued shut PSU.

I'd cut the cable at the plug and wire it into a new power supply that you can open. Depending on the voltage and polarity you should be able to buy one from RS

Yes, it's on eBay from China. I know that means a wait, but hopefully, at that price and the fact that they look robust, it will be worth it.

4P4C 4P2C RJ11 RJ12 RJ45 DEC Cable Network Crimper Pliers Modular Crimping Tool 713095349540 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/4P4C-4P2C-RJ11-RJ12-RJ45-DEC-Cable-Network-Crimper-Pliers-Modular-Crimping-Tool/272089952996?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

$_12.JPG

Modular crimping tool.

For crimping modular plug: 10P10C, AMP 8P8C/RJ-45, 6P6C/RJ-12, 6P4C/RJ-11, 4P4C, 4P2C plugs and DEC/OFF set plug-6P6C.

For archiving purposes, if you try to view the link and the content has gone because you are looking at this in more than 180 days, the seller is called hersmay2015.
Good luck with the crimping, if it's the type of cable with lots of nylon strands around the copper they are an absolute ******* (insert your own expletive) to crimp.

Reply to Strange crimp connector for BT phone power in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net