Discuss Stripping for fun,or bending over in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

What sort of theory were you taught at college Dave just asking for a comparison from my time. I did Electro Technology ( from a book that was referred to as HUGHES by the lecturer, Regulations, Maths, Mechanical theory, crikey memories.

AC theory, three phase, basic motors and generators, cable calculations. Some regulations and suchlike. Basic fault finding and inspection and testing.
There was quite a bit if health and safety and some 'key skills' nonsense forced on us which was basically maths, English and computer skills.

I've been a bender for most of my career. I started off straight but got introduced to bending at quite a young age and never looked back. Now, as for cables, well that's a different story :eek::D:D

For fine stuff I usually stuff a ferrule on.

Fine stranded conductors must have a suitable ferrule, crimp or in a few specific applications tinned ends when terminating. There's specific regs stipulating that. So by just folding over you're not complying.

Only times they can be terminated "bare" is in dedicated spring clamp terminals that the manufacturer of has specified this can be done.

What sort of theory were you taught at college Dave just asking for a comparison from my time. I did Electro Technology ( from a book that was referred to as HUGHES by the lecturer, Regulations, Maths, Mechanical theory, crikey memories.

It's a good book that Hughes.
I'd recommend it to any trainee.
You can pick second hand copies for pennies (last time I looked).

There is no one correct method. It depends on the type of cable, the type of terminal and how the size of one compares with the size of another. A method that is ideal for a screw terminal with a wire protection spring might be unsuitable for one without, and vice versa.

There is a lot of detail in the craft of making connections that seems to get overlooked amongst all the complexity of modern electrical equipment. People have forgotten that a bad connection doesn't work, or overheats, just like it did a century ago. There's no magic technological solution to high-resistance joints.

There is a lot of detail in the craft of making connections that seems to get overlooked amongst all the complexity of modern electrical equipment. People have forgotten that a bad connection doesn't work, or overheats, just like it did a century ago. There's no magic technological solution to high-resistance joints.
Absolutely! First thing I teach my apprentices is how to correctly terminate, check for tightness & integrity and ensure the cables fold back neatly (sockets & switch plates... etc) a major cause of electrical fires are caused by poor connections.

i have bootlace ferrules on my bootlaces.red for port, green for starboard. still manage to get them on the wrong feet sometimes.

Why can’t I remember that they are called bootlace ferrules, I let myself down each time!
i have bootlace ferrules on my bootlaces.red for port, green for starboard. still manage to get them on the wrong feet sometimes.

Why can’t I remember that they are called bootlace ferrules, I let myself down each time!
that's nothing.when i was a lad just left school, i went for a job with a farrier, shoeing horses. took me all day to realise that the job did not entail chasing the horses round a field shouting SHOO, SHOO.

I wanted to give an ‘old’ but it’s the weekend so you get a funny despite my rolling eyes!
that's nothing.when i was a lad just left school, i went for a job with a farrier, shoeing horses. took me all day to realise that the job did not entail chasing the horses round a field shouting SHOO, SHOO.

Fine stranded conductors must have a suitable ferrule, crimp or in a few specific applications tinned ends when terminating. There's specific regs stipulating that. So by just folding over you're not complying.

Only times they can be terminated "bare" is in dedicated spring clamp terminals that the manufacturer of has specified this can be done.
There’s no requirement for ferrules or crimps.
Just for tacking precautions to protect the core when terminating.
Twisting and doubling over is one method.

Reply to Stripping for fun,or bending over in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock