Discuss Stripping for fun,or bending over in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I’ve worked in Hospitals, factories, football stadiums, ice rinks, schools, colleges, the O2, railway stations, marshalling yards, offices, hotels, shopping centres, shops, houses, flats, theatres, Police stations, air fields, caravan sites, power stations, data centres, car workshops, resturants and cafes, banks, magistrates courts, leisure centres, swimming pools, the Olympics, street furniture, TV studio, sewage farm, Laboratories, agricultural and horticultural, car parks....
Done power and lighting HV, MV, LV, ELV and reduced voltage distribution, door access controls, CCTV, BMS, trackside signalling, process controls, Fire alarms, PV....

The only time I’ve ever known bootlace ferrules to be used, is in BMS panels at a college and in control circuits at a couple of power stations.

The only time I’ve ever known bootlace ferrules to be used, is in BMS panels at a college and in control circuits at a couple of power stations.
Nearly every power station and sub that I've worked at has been ferruled (that word doesn't look right). Not just control circuits but most auxilaries. I know that all the equipment that I install/repair is fitted with a ferule. Apart from looking neater it makes life so much easier when you have to disconnect/reconnect.

I’ve worked in Hospitals, factories, football stadiums, ice rinks, schools, colleges, the O2, railway stations, marshalling yards, offices, hotels, shopping centres, shops, houses, flats, theatres, Police stations, air fields, caravan sites, power stations, data centres, car workshops, resturants and cafes, banks, magistrates courts, leisure centres, swimming pools, the Olympics, street furniture, TV studio, sewage farm, Laboratories, agricultural and horticultural, car parks....
Done power and lighting HV, MV, LV, ELV and reduced voltage distribution, door access controls, CCTV, BMS, trackside signalling, process controls, Fire alarms, PV....

I do some work with mobile motorsport hospitality units (ie artic trailers kitted out). The fixed wiring is always in flex.
We always use ferrels, and most I've come across the installer has used them.

I now use them whenever I use flex by habit now.

I have a lad working for me at the moment, and he had never been told to use them in his training, but agrees with me they make a much better connection.

I have a lad working for me at the moment, and he had never been told to use them in his training, but agrees with me they make a much better connection.

Anything that improves a connection is better practice. But more so, anything that improves the "longevity" of the connection is good practice. I got into the habit of "tinning" using solder - fine stranded conductors. Yes this is time consuming, most likely OTT and probably unnecessary for most applications but it ensured a very good reliable connection.

Anything that improves a connection is better practice. But more so, anything that improves the "longevity" of the connection is good practice. I got into the habit of "tinning" using solder - fine stranded conductors. Yes this is time consuming, most likely OTT and probably unnecessary for most applications but it ensured a very good reliable connection.

Quite the contrary.

Tinning should only be used with very specific applications.

Probably get away with it in a domestic environment as generally there isn't much vibration. However in industry, those connections will fail prematurely.

Again, the regs (526.9 approximate reg number) make reference to this and state that it should not be done.

Edit: Although I do remember the days that tinning joints was common practice. Terminals and connectors aren't as good quality as they used to be. An it was before the widespread availability of ferrules and insulated crimps/ related tools becoming cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tinning should only be used with very specific applications.

Edit: Although I do remember the days that tinning joints was common practice. Terminals and connectors aren't as good quality as they used to be. An it was before the widespread availability of ferrules and insulated crimps/ related tools becoming cheap.

I use ferrules and crimps these days, I was referring to way back when... :). Mainly for control panels and similar not on any industrial stuff per-say.

Reply to Stripping for fun,or bending over in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net