• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Stripping for fun,or bending over in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

Regular EF Member
wondering what’s being taught in college these days,to the apprentices.
Cause when they come on site,they certainly aint being taught like us seniors were.
Eg stripping of conductors,many use pliers or side cutters,they do not bend conductors over,up to 2.5mm.
Conduit skills to be admired from a distance.

Professional Grade LED Lighting Strips

Pete999

Forum Mentor
wondering what’s being taught in college these days,to the apprentices.
Cause when they come on site,they certainly aint being taught like us seniors were.
Eg stripping of conductors,many use pliers or side cutters,they do not bend conductors over,up to 2.5mm.
Conduit skills to be admired from a distance.
Three words "Fast track training"or "Get Qualified quick"

Rob

Control System Engineer
Respected Member
Most modern "cheap" terminals are not constructed to take a conductor bent over.

They now teach not to do this anymore.

cliffed

Regular EF Member
Most modern "cheap" terminals are not constructed to take a conductor bent over.

They now teach not to do this anymore.
Change of times I guess,always found if not bent over,they can break,especially 1.0mm,even before you screw the switch back.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Change of times I guess,always found if not bent over,they can break,especially 1.0mm,even before you screw the switch back.
As an extra: You have 2 stranded conductors, do you twist them together and connect, or twist them singly and connect or strip them and try and get the 2 stranded conductors connected, not talking about flex type conductors.

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
The title, you did that for effect didn't you.

I don't always bend over, but always strip off, when appropriate. :)

Pete999

Forum Mentor
As an extra: You have 2 stranded conductors, do you twist them together and connect, or twist them singly and connect or strip them and try and get the 2 stranded conductors connected, not talking about flex type conductors.
Can't honestly see what there is to disagree with Baddegg, I simply asked three questions, can you explain the part you disagree with, Question 1,2 or 3?

Last edited:

littlespark

Electrician's Arms
Never twist two conductors together. Makes it awkward when it comes to separating again for testing etc.

I still bend over conductors up to 2.5mm.
Single cores can break in screw connectors. WAGOs have to be single though.

And stripping cables? I thought the college tool boxes would have proper wire strippers. Using pliers, you can cut through too easily.

ferg

Electrician's Arms
For me Pete I was taught method 2 for coarse stranded cable.
Method 1 for coarse stranded cable was likely to damage said cable.

I remember reading a study on termination methods for meter tails, obviously terminated Singly, and there was no difference in the effectiveness of the termination between twisting into a single conductor and not.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
For me Pete I was taught method 2 for coarse stranded cable.
Method 1 for coarse stranded cable was likely to damage said cable.

I remember reading a study on termination methods for meter tails, obviously terminated Singly, and there was no difference in the effectiveness of the termination between twisting into a single conductor and not.
Me too, although as an Apprentice I was always told that twisting 2 stranded cable together made the CSA that much largerm thereby filling the terminal up thus making the connection better, soon ditched that method when I finished my Apprenticeship, some 5 years later.

Wilko

Electrician's Arms
I bend over single conductors up to 2.5mm.
I could've said "I'm a fan of bending over so the screw bites in better, using my favourite tool". But that would've sounded a bit strange, so I didn't.

IMG_1357.JPG

Rob

Control System Engineer
Respected Member
Me too, although as an Apprentice I was always told that twisting 2 stranded cable together made the CSA that much largerm thereby filling the terminal up thus making the connection better, soon ditched that method when I finished my Apprenticeship, some 5 years later.
On that note. 2 x 2.5mm conductors will carry more current than 1 x 5mm conductor.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
On that note. 2 x 2.5mm conductors will carry more current than 1 x 5mm conductor.
Yes maybe but only for the 3/4 of an inch, or so, that is shoved in the terminal.

Rob

Control System Engineer
Respected Member
Yes maybe but only for the 3/4 of an inch, or so, that is shoved in the terminal.
Sorry my point wasn't clear.

The ccc of 2 x 2.5mm conductors is greater than 1 x 5mm conductor.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance