Discuss Stripping for fun,or bending over in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cliffed

-
Arms
Reaction score
wondering what’s being taught in college these days,to the apprentices.
Cause when they come on site,they certainly aint being taught like us seniors were.
Eg stripping of conductors,many use pliers or side cutters,they do not bend conductors over,up to 2.5mm.
Conduit skills to be admired from a distance.

wondering what’s being taught in college these days,to the apprentices.
Cause when they come on site,they certainly aint being taught like us seniors were.
Eg stripping of conductors,many use pliers or side cutters,they do not bend conductors over,up to 2.5mm.
Conduit skills to be admired from a distance.
Three words "Fast track training"or "Get Qualified quick"

Change of times I guess,always found if not bent over,they can break,especially 1.0mm,even before you screw the switch back.
As an extra: You have 2 stranded conductors, do you twist them together and connect, or twist them singly and connect or strip them and try and get the 2 stranded conductors connected, not talking about flex type conductors.

As an extra: You have 2 stranded conductors, do you twist them together and connect, or twist them singly and connect or strip them and try and get the 2 stranded conductors connected, not talking about flex type conductors.
Can't honestly see what there is to disagree with Baddegg, I simply asked three questions, can you explain the part you disagree with, Question 1,2 or 3?

Last edited:
Never twist two conductors together. Makes it awkward when it comes to separating again for testing etc.

I still bend over conductors up to 2.5mm.
Single cores can break in screw connectors. WAGOs have to be single though.

And stripping cables? I thought the college tool boxes would have proper wire strippers. Using pliers, you can cut through too easily.

For me Pete I was taught method 2 for coarse stranded cable.
Method 1 for coarse stranded cable was likely to damage said cable.

I remember reading a study on termination methods for meter tails, obviously terminated Singly, and there was no difference in the effectiveness of the termination between twisting into a single conductor and not.

For me Pete I was taught method 2 for coarse stranded cable.
Method 1 for coarse stranded cable was likely to damage said cable.

I remember reading a study on termination methods for meter tails, obviously terminated Singly, and there was no difference in the effectiveness of the termination between twisting into a single conductor and not.
Me too, although as an Apprentice I was always told that twisting 2 stranded cable together made the CSA that much largerm thereby filling the terminal up thus making the connection better, soon ditched that method when I finished my Apprenticeship, some 5 years later.

Me too, although as an Apprentice I was always told that twisting 2 stranded cable together made the CSA that much largerm thereby filling the terminal up thus making the connection better, soon ditched that method when I finished my Apprenticeship, some 5 years later.

On that note. 2 x 2.5mm conductors will carry more current than 1 x 5mm conductor.

Sorry my point wasn't clear.

The ccc of 2 x 2.5mm conductors is greater than 1 x 5mm conductor.
I knew Rob, jus
I prefer stripping with my cable croppers rather than pliers or side cutters.
I only double over fine stranded cables.
I prefer stripping with my cable croppers rather than pliers or side cutters.
I only double over fine stranded cables.
I always put a ferrule on fine stranded conductors

When I was an apprentice I learned all of these practical skills on site with my mentor, college was where we learned theory.
What sort of theory were you taught at college Dave just asking for a comparison from my time. I did Electro Technology ( from a book that was referred to as HUGHES by the lecturer, Regulations, Maths, Mechanical theory, crikey memories.

Reply to Stripping for fun,or bending over in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock