Discuss Stroma assessment can anyone help in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has recently done the stroma assessment for CPS scheme. Im doing it on a consumer unit changed in my house.

What exactly is he/she going to be inspecting?

Same as any other assessment really, or rather same as any assessment should be expected to be.

Overview of you and your quals and experience, check your paperwork etc.
Technical question and answer session on the regs and working practices.
Chat about the work to be inspected and look at the paperwork. Demonstration of full test of the work checking values tally with previously recorded ones.

All very informal though.

They usually stipulate a minimum of one new circuit, surprised they are allowing a CU change.

Very hot on insurances, calibration, policies - complaints, H&S

also wanted to see example quotes and invoices

as I was ex Elecsa, he wanted to see "older" certificates too.......

For the assessment they will want to see the folowing:
Qualifications
Insurance (public liabilty 2 million minimum)
Calibration certs
H&S policy/statement
Complaints log & procedure
BS7671, OSG, EAWR
Up to date CV
Risk assessment
Installation cert for the job to be assessed on (normally they want a minimum of 2 x new circuits)
If your doing a CU change, check with them 1st

When they visit they will ask a range of technical questions (use your books to find the answers if needed - it's not a closed book knowledge test)

The practical aspect:
safe isolation is prority (voltage indicator/proving unit/lock out kit)
test Ze, PFC
R1+R2 ring final is a favourite
Zs test
RCD tests
while your doing this you will be asked more technical questions...

Most of all - have a brew ready and plenty of biscuits !

Stroma and NICEIC both accept just a consumer unit swap for your assessment (at your own home too), have spoken to both last week regards what work/job is required for an assessment.

Agree with what Stesh put in #9.
Be organised:
Make sure your know how to carry out safe isolation and testing inside out.
Make sure the installation that your showing is the very best that you can make it, is fully tested and works!
Keep all the paperwork listed above together so that you don't have to go looking for it. Some people use plastic folders.
Stay calm, take your time, use the big book if need be.
If you're confident in yourself and you're abilities you'll fly through it no problem.

Maybe you could post a picture of your work? If there is any mistakes someone could spot it on here no doubt! Just a thought but if you are confident of your work then ignore this. Not that I doubt your abilities. They are usually very nice and put you at your ease so try not to worry about a big nasty man pulling your work to peices. Maybe just maybe post your EIC as well if you want to get any comments best to check before but again only if you feel it would be helpful. Agree with the paperwork thing, very thorough! Also questions about technicalities, maybe fifty, quite simple as it goes but you have to be schooled properly in the basic science of electrics which really helps to sort out the chaff from the wheat.

Hi - you can expect to have to demonstrate safe isolation, how you tested the installation and repeat the kitchen RFC tests (say). In the correct order, getting the same results as on your EIC. Prepare and perhaps offer to show it?

I have to say, I was never asked a myriad of questions. Just a few, and if I didn't know the answer, we discussed it. Perhaps he recognised what top tastic electrician I were'd. :D
Did some simples testing, for RFC e.g. safe isolation etc. Always felt it was like an interview for a job, as opposed to an exam.

Just have all your bits & pieces to hand. I wrote lots of notes in the back of the OSG, to refer to on my first assessment.

Had mine today

Sat down asked to see paper work. Didn't have my h&S policy to hand he said that's fine send it off to them. Showed certificates , insurances, part p document electricity at work act. Haswa 1974.

Asked questions on part p. Asked what other building regs should we conform to.asked why would we upgrade the installation.asked me to look a value up in the book. Checked I'd done maximum demand. Asked about testing inspection and condition reports and the different categories . Looked at past condition reports.

The install is a new CU with a new ring and garage circuit. I explained the job isn't finished and i haven't completed a cert. He said you wont be signed off until you send us that.

Testing . I asked if I needed to show safe isolation he said no as I'm here and just show me your lock off kit. Done a ze and asked what is the max for the system. Continuity on ring. Rcd test taking pictures all the time. For got to null my leads because of nerves. I asked if he wanted to see a zs and he said if you can do a ze you can easily do a zs. And that was that. Well we are all done. Didn't look at the sockets I installed . Just the board

that's personal you should not show them that .next they want to see if you paid you taxes on time .

Sat my Stroma CPS about a week ago. Went through past invoices and CIS payslips to confirm my time in the game. Checked insurances and CV very carefully. Probably about 80 questions (one a minute for an hour or so) Certainly no tea and biscuits walkover as is often implied. Not unpleasant just really thorough. Threads suggest not all are so diligent but I've only been with Stroma so can't really comment.

Oh yea. Prep well and good luck. :)

Reply to Stroma assessment can anyone help in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock