Discuss Stroma Assessment completed in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

To comply with Part P - no other reason!
We all have to comply with Part P. The Legal Instrument (the legal part of the regulation) Part P (P1) says this and nothing more:
4f600d0d3fb42a8fbecd8f03b02da195

The reason that you need to be a CPS member is so that you can notify works to the Local Authority without going through an expensive rigmarole.
Only certain works need to be notified, these change and get diluted from time to time. The list of notifiable works are listed in the APPROVED DOCUMENT of Building Regulations Part P. This document (not statutory) provides guidance on how one can comply with the LEGAL INSTRUMENT. But is the bible that the LABC live and breathe by.
The list of notifiable works is currently this
4ddf2185fb3e141517352eebdac40a07

Clear as mud, right?

Is Stroma the cheapest body to get into and how easy is it..dispite being in the electrical game for over 40 years I haven't done any complicated work just replacing sockets and switches etc..do they want to see more involed work eg rewires etc.

Stroma is best value of the CPS, I think. All the schemes have to meet the same standards, but seem to assess in slightly different ways. From memory, Stroma like to see a couple of new circuits installed, tested and certified. Or a CU change. Can I suggest you give them a call and have a chat? I found them helpful and encouraging.

Stroma is best value of the CPS, I think. All the schemes have to meet the same standards, but seem to assess in slightly different ways. From memory, Stroma like to see a couple of new circuits installed, tested and certified. Or a CU change. Can I suggest you give them a call and have a chat? I found them helpful and encouraging.

Is Stroma the cheapest body to get into and how easy is it..dispite being in the electrical game for over 40 years I haven't done any complicated work just replacing sockets and switches etc..do they want to see more involed work eg rewires etc.
Essentially the just want to see that you have a good knowledge of regs, different zones etc. They want to see some of your work to make sure that your workmanship is up to standard and complies,usually a RFC and a radial. Also some testing and questions about what results you should expect and whats happening if you dont get the results you should.

Are you kidding? Just about everything has changed since the 14th.

PS It would have been better to start your own topic, rather than hijack somebody else's!

I'm just thinking that there must be some allowance for us old crumblies given that we have been doing the work for so long...we cant all be expected to be wiz kids with the regs

Well I suppose I don't is the answer I just know that when I throw the switch the lights work which is what I get paid for. The company I work for has never told me this is a problem so I guessed I was ok.

dispite being in the electrical game for over 40 years I haven't done any complicated work just replacing sockets and switches
Only a basic level of competence is needed to do this sort of work. Thats basically the same now as in the 14th, although the colour of the cables have changed!
Of course, you'll still use the same sets of calibrated test equipment that you currently are using..

Should you need/be required to install new circuits, change fuseboards, etc then you will have to be a member of one of the CPS. You'll need to re-qualify using today's regulations and every CPS assesment will want to see complicated as outlined by Wilko.

Reply to Stroma Assessment completed in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net