Discuss stud finder finds cable but need advise in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

javidr

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I have a wall where i know that there are some wires inside, as the electric installation of the thermostat is placed there.

I need to drill a hole in that area and obviously i want to avoid hitting those cables. I have bought a stud finder to see where can i drill the hole, but it "detects" wires everywhere in that wall, which is not correct.

Can somebody advise what can i do to find exactly where the wires are to drill the holes safely?

Thanks

the cables should be directly abobe and/or below the accessory. sometimes horizontal. depending on what the wall structure is, hard plaster on brick or dry lined, determines on your method. with dry lining or studded walls, jost poke a screwdriver in. with direct plaster on brick, use a drill carefully to go through the plaster.once you hit brick, you know you've missed any cables

I have one those cable locators, a green Bosch one. It’s marketed for the DIY market. It’s completely useless. Senses cables where there’s none, and doesn’t when there is.

Hi - some additional information may be had by looking which way the cables run out of the existing thermostat. Assume all cables are live, so if you take the unit out you need to electrically isolate the boiler circuit and proceed with caution. Hopefully the cables go straight up the wall, +/- 100mm depending on how tired the installer was.

Reply to stud finder finds cable but need advise in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock