Discuss Suggestions for Cable or track lighting systems.? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So someone has asked suggestions as how to upgrade lights in a small narrow kitchen in a new build. The kitchen has a low ceiling - albeit subjectively (the guy is 6'7" and at the moment only blocks the light from the one pendant where ever he is in the room). Obvious choice would have been spots, but the customer is adamant that they do not want to disrupt the upstairs room to install them. Amongst a few other suggestions, were track lighting, and later I thought of Cable track- which they seemed quite happy with. Just wondering whether anyone has experience with either- I like the idea of cable lighting and would be a perfect solution but not entirely sure whether the plasterboard walls would take the tension of the cable systems.

TL;DR
Any suggestions/advice on Track and cable track lighting ?
Led tape? Stick it on the top of the kitchen cupboards as uplighters

Try and find the studs
have found them- they are quite close together , but im reluctant to cut holes blindly- theres water pipes
Try and find the studs
problem is they are quite tight together so getting the cable route would be difficult to do without cutting more access and inspection holes for checking existing pipes/cable routes.
[automerge]1572732666[/automerge]
Led tape? Stick it on the top of the kitchen cupboards as uplighters
good idea- might suggest that supplementary to their existing UC lights

Last edited:
If you are considering on of those washing lines where two cables are strung between the walls and lights attached to them then my advice is don't.
They will inevitably droop over time and often pull the fixings out of the wall when tensioning them. They are ELV so you have to find somewhere for a transformer to be installed, and replace it when it inevitably fails.
Also the ones I've worked with use a sharp pointed screw to connect each light fitting by piercing the insulation on the cable, I have seen this lead to burnt connections a number of times as they inevitably damage the conductor when you drive a screw into it.

Reply to Suggestions for Cable or track lighting systems.? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock