Discuss Summer house power supply 50 metres away in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pablo4321

Hi there just wanting a bit of advice here, been asked to put a power supply to summer hoiuse down bottom of the garden which is approx 50 metres away
i was thinking of using 6 mm armour cable from a mini rcd fuse board beside old consumer unit as this is a old wired wylex board althiough someone has put an exterior 30ma rcd to cover whole installation. so into the mini db connect to the 20 amp mcb from there run down to the summer house connect into the mini board rcd then run a couple of sockets of a radial 16 amp and one light of 6 amp mcb also this is a tt system would it be advisable to put a rod in next to summer house.would it be advisable to put a 100 ma rcd timed delayed at the house side, any advise would be appreciated

No point having rcd's at both ends of the swa cable , choose one end only.
And if youre using 6mm i'd connect to a 32a mcb at the house otherwise you wont get discrimination from a 20a mcb to the 16a mcb in the summer house.
Extra rod sounds good.
I wouldnt swop the 30ma for 100ma rcd at the mains , youre reducing the level of protection.

so would you just put the rcd at the the summer house end,also does the swa not need protection at house end

Hi pablo,
If your run is 50mtrs backed by a 32 amp mcb your swa would need to be 10mm to allow for the volt drop of 7.04. you are only allowed 9.2v on a 230v supply, a 6mm comes out at 11.68v or downrate to 20amp mcb giving you a volt drop of 7.3v

This link
http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/16/elect-inst-outdoors.cfm?type=pdf
will cover some of the points that you have asked. It was written before the 17th edition came out but is still relavent.

If you are doing this for reward you should be aware of the legal requirements for electricity outside and
(as important)
you should already have the competence to undertake the job without resorting to a DIY fourm to ask (with respect) rather basic questions.

It's always advisable to add another rod on a TT system. So long as you are talking about installing a rod and not a twig!! lol!!

Oh, and take note of post 7....

Presuming you were suggesting protecting the submain with a B32 BS60898, then the maximum allowable Zs for that circuit would be 1.15ohm. I would be suprised if you could achieve a stable Ra to get that.

The Op's original idea of protecting that submain with a 100ma s type followed by 30ma in the summerhouse would be better IMO.

Presuming you were suggesting protecting the submain with a B32 BS60898, then the maximum allowable Zs for that circuit would be 1.15ohm. I would be suprised if you could achieve a stable Ra to get that.

The Op's original idea of protecting that submain with a 100ma s type followed by 30ma in the summerhouse would be better IMO.

Youre right , i read it wrong.
oops lol.

Reply to Summer house power supply 50 metres away in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock