Discuss summer house supply thoughts in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
been asked to price a socket to a Summer house , throwing it out their for any views which may help me decide my course of action , Ideally i would like to get back to the Consumer unit , but its virtually impossible without major structural upset , and can not go external from it either due to the nature of the property . So , what i do have is a Garage Socket , which i am assuming is from the current ring main , on a spur . I thought maybe fitting a fused spur into the line and going off the socket down to the Summer House which is approx 25-30 meters away and feed a socket for a reading light and small heater , problem is the distance and what amps i would have at the Summer house already from a spur , plus the size of SWA i would need , seems a mighty job for a Summer house which could not get further away from a source which is so hard to get to . Any Views ?

Bit worried someone asking these sort of questions are willing to carry out a job that requires notification. A registered sparky would carry out simple cable calcs to work out cable size AND identify where garage socket is fed from.
If you suspect the garage socket is fed by a spur off the ring main, why would you need another spur in line?

been asked to price a socket to a Summer house , throwing it out their for any views which may help me decide my course of action , Ideally i would like to get back to the Consumer unit , but its virtually impossible without major structural upset , and can not go external from it either due to the nature of the property . So , what i do have is a Garage Socket , which i am assuming is from the current ring main , on a spur . I thought maybe fitting a fused spur into the line and going off the socket down to the Summer House which is approx 25-30 meters away and feed a socket for a reading light and small heater , problem is the distance and what amps i would have at the Summer house already from a spur , plus the size of SWA i would need , seems a mighty job for a Summer house which could not get further away from a source which is so hard to get to . Any Views ?

I'm with @KevinH post above.
You want to spur off a spur and run it 30 meters from a circuit that that you are not sure about.????
Please clarify you post mate.....

Ditto on the agreement front.

Lets take a big step backwards...what would you want to power in this hut?

(PS, I hate the word assume.)

already i laugh , it was just thoughts , just asking views , and sorry no i do not crawl about in lofts to determine where a cable goes , but my assumption is the garage socket is spurred off the ring main like most extra sockets get done , of course i would check if i went any further , it is not already on a spur as in 13amp fused spur . I know full well i can ring up technical if needed but was merely asking views , as for certification hahaha , not many carry that out around here only the big boys , everyone misses that part of the job and saves a fortune ha ha wink

I asked what the estimated load might be. You may recall that we start cable calculations with the answer to trivial issues like that!

already i laugh , it was just thoughts , just asking views , and sorry no i do not crawl about in lofts to determine where a cable goes , but my assumption is the garage socket is spurred off the ring main like most extra sockets get done , of course i would check if i went any further , it is not already on a spur as in 13amp fused spur . I know full well i can ring up technical if needed but was merely asking views , as for certification hahaha , not many carry that out around here only the big boys , everyone misses that part of the job and saves a fortune ha ha wink

Not a lot we can say mate.
From your general outlook on things it looks like you will do whatever you want to do.
Crack on.....

This is one of the best lines I have read for a while:

...problem is the distance and what amps i would have at the Summer house already from a spur...

He/She has been making me laugh, so im happy if they carry on...

Hi welsiana,
If I was you I would start by doing the neccissary cable calcs for a cable 25-30 M. Taking into account cable type, if it's buried or not. Voltage drop, current capacity, Fault current etc..

I would then ascertain exactly if that garage socket is a spur from the ring main.

Then I would come up with a cunning plan.

Then I would call a registered insured sparky to do the calcs again and get him to come up with a cunning plan. Then I would instruct him/ her to carry out works at a cost to ensure that they cover there registration and insurance.
Then the sparky could sign off and notify building control in a professional manner.

Pete

plenty of time to sort it out. won't be needed till next summer. could use cat5. 2 cores= 3A, 4 cores =6A. 6 cores=9A. sod it , use all 8 and have the extra capacity up to 12A. don't forget the 13A fuse ( well, that's the closest to 12A). :eek::eek::eek:.

Reply to summer house supply thoughts in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock