Discuss Supp bonding requirement with no extraneous-conductive parts? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes, still doubting my own judgement when it comes to supp bonding and EICRs, so would welcome any thoughts on the latest one.

Newish flat (2000s) with MK split board, so no RCD on lighting.

Bathroom contains:

Vent cap only (some clever full flat extraction system that isn't currently working, but that's another issue...)
Plastic shaver socket, with plastic back box, so no parts that could reasonably be expected to become live
SELV downlights, with fixed brackets above on inspection, so no earthing of front plate
Metal Towel radiator, but plumbing in plastic microbore pipework so nothing to bond.

So in summary, no extraneous-conductive parts that could be tested for effective bonding back to the MET.

From an inspection of the shaver socket, no supplementary bonding conductor is in place, but as stated it contains no extraneous-conductive parts.

the ESF best practise guide states not to code absence of supplementary bonding for installed Class 2 equipment, but that isn't quite the circumstance here, though there are similarities in the fittings not requiring an earth on the load side for protection.

I'm currently on a C3 for this, but any opinions welcomed. If there were extraneous-conductive parts I'd be a C2.

Since I'm going back and this is a regular landlord I may suggest fitting an RCBO on the lighting circuit in question anyway, just to be sure, since it covers a main bathroom and an en suite.

Are taps etc supplied by plastic pipes?
Good question. It was a pedestal sink type where the pipes weren't immediately accessible, and similar under bath so can't be sure, but I suspect plastic - the main building incoming was in steel or coated copper to the boiler, but after that all the central heating is in plastic and I think water too...

Good question. It was a pedestal sink type where the pipes weren't immediately accessible, and similar under bath so can't be sure, but I suspect plastic - the main building incoming was in steel or coated copper to the boiler, but after that all the central heating is in plastic and I think water too...
Assuming plastic pipes to the taps, I don't think sup bonding would be necessary here.

There are no extraneous parts, the OSG tells us no need to bond metal supplied by plastic pipes (4.8). I assume the shaver and lights are on the same circuit, so CPCs are connected anyway, but even if they weren't, the lighting is ELV so not subject to ADS requirements.

No code for me

Assuming plastic pipes to the taps, I don't think sup bonding would be necessary here.

There are no extraneous parts, the OSG tells us no need to bond metal supplied by plastic pipes (4.8). I assume the shaver and lights are on the same circuit, so CPCs are connected anyway, but even if they weren't, the lighting is ELV so not subject to ADS requirements.

No code for me
That makes sense, thanks - though I will probably make a comment just to show that I've considered it.

Will probably recommend an RCBO on that circuit anyway, since I have one in stock...

Is there any continuity between the bathroom circuits ?
Is there an electric shower?

If there is only a lighting circuit and the screw on the shaver socket is on the lights then I would think C3

Have you done the R2 then IR test to confirm either below 0.05 ohms continuity or over 200M IR ?

Is there any continuity between the bathroom circuits ?
Is there an electric shower?

If there is only a lighting circuit and the screw on the shaver socket is on the lights then I would think C3

Have you done the R2 then IR test to confirm either below 0.05 ohms continuity or over 200M IR ?
No electric shower - and really nothing I could test between electrically without significant disruption to decor, which wasn't an option under the limitations agreed (after 4pm, client working from home, etc)

The shaver socket was on the lighting circuit, but plasterboard back box, so screws not connected to earth. The lighting is SELV MR16 lamps and therefore no earthed fronts to the lights. I didn't investigate too far into the ceiling to avoid damaging decor as they were in tight, but from what I could see installed well. Towel rail supplied by plastic microbore piping, as were all the radiators.

I did R2 with a wander lead as part of inspection and got no continuity to anything in the bathroom, but that is what would be expected with the setup as it was. The only thing I may have missed was an R2 to the taps, but the main water bond was in place and effective.

Reply to Supp bonding requirement with no extraneous-conductive parts? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net