Discuss Supply to Log Cabin in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some advice on the following please: -

TN-S System, 8 way 60Amp BS3036 CU (no rcd)

Power & lighting circuits to attached garage have been spurred directly from the back of the kitchen cooker CU, there are various additional socket outlets throughout the house which are extensions from the original sockets, by way of three core flex and 13 amp fused plug (plugged into the original):confused: one extension was traced back to the cooker CU by way of a plug adapter (the same cooker unit that is feeding the garage).

I was originaly asked to quote to install a temporary plug in supply to a new log cabin in the garden, in the customers own words can I now quote for: -

Install Hook up to Log Cabin

Up-rate garage to IEE

Upgrade house Consumer Unit

Log cabin is approx 12 metres from the house and is to have 4 x socket outlets, 2 x internal light fittings, 1 x external bulkhead light and I am ensured no form of electrical heating will be used.

Also if the up-rating of the garage and House CU is deemed too expensive only the hook up to the cabin will be required.

Where do I start with a quote like this bearing in mind I have to comply with BS 7671 and not upset the customer too much:)

Unless a total rewire of property I wont touch it first question I would ask is what other horrors lay undiscovered by you waiting to catch you out failing that.

Before any work is carried out you need to work out maximum demand of property including proposed work as I would think main fuse and possibly tails will need upgrading. He may not want heating in cabin now but what about wintertime or change of ownership

If you work on any of the circuits mentioned you take responsibility for it as the last person??????

Chris

Agree with the other guys here as its your name on the cert and not only your membership your butt in court if anything goes wrong so quote job and some you win some you lose if he dont like it the nice man at B & Q will tell him how to rewire it and upgrade it without any compliance with bs7671 or some guy down the pub. You could offer it in two visits one to upgrade the house install and then to install the cabin run that way cutting down the cost in one hit this i find sometimes works and saves the job.
Regards
Kung.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot guys - I think I will try the two part quote and break it to him gently. Supposing he just wants a supply to the cabin what would be the best solution?

If he just wants a supply to the cabin and his house is shot to pieces and needs upgraded to 17th,i would walk away mate.I know work is thin on the table at the moment, but it's you who will end up in court if there are serious consequences.Would you sign a job off like that:eek:Just tell him what work needs doing to sort it and if he don't want to pay then tell him to get someone else in but that he will be told the same answer as you have given him

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe suggest to him a periodic beforehand in order to get a handle on just what is needed to be done to the existing before adding any extra loding to the installation.

Just a thought.:)

Most of my work is subcontract to another company so don't really get involved in the pricing of jobs as I am usually on a day rate. What is the going hourly rate for domestic electrical work and what would be a sensible price for replacing a CU? - Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Before you quote any job get the actual price of the items needed if you estimate £300.00 and actual price works out £390.00 you have just lost £90.00 profit.

As for hourly rate depends on your area but a minimum of £20 per hour is what you are looking at a lot of people on this forum woundnt get out of bed for that others would not even want to be woken up:)

Chris

Reply to Supply to Log Cabin in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock