Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Surge Protection Devices for domestic - what do you think? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Evening all,
Just attended elex exeter and see there's a big push on these SPDs coming as standard now in domestic consumer units. Hager, Lewden and Contactum to name just 3.
I have had at least 2 clients in the last few months whose appliances have been damaged by apparently surges on the supply when power has been lost/switched back on, one was an ASHP and the other an Aga oven controller.
Disregarding what it says in the Green book, the additional cost of these when fitting/changing a board is not that great and they appear easy to fit retrospectively if there's a spare way for one. or even in a separate enclosure so I personally think there's a case for recommending them to customers..
What do people think, anyone else had any experiences?

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
Just attended elex exeter and see there's a big push on these SPDs coming as standard now in domestic consumer units. Hager, Lewden and Contactum to name just 3.
I have had at least 2 clients in the last few months whose appliances have been damaged by apparently surges on the supply when power has been lost/switched back on, one was an ASHP and the other an Aga oven controller.
Disregarding what it says in the Green book, the additional cost of these when fitting/changing a board is not that great and they appear easy to fit retrospectively if there's a spare way for one. or even in a separate enclosure so I personally think there's a case for recommending them to customers..
What do people think, anyone else had any experiences?
Disregarding what it says in the Green book:eek:, blue now read what it says .;)

suffolkspark

-
Arms
Esteemed
How do we fit these in boards on TT.... they need to be installed upstream of RCDs as far as i can make out.... Which makes sense... But on a TT if using dual rcd boards there will be a 100ma typeS right upfront....

Ian1981

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
How do we fit these in boards on TT.... they need to be installed upstream of RCDs as far as i can make out.... Which makes sense... But on a TT if using dual rcd boards there will be a 100ma typeS right upfront....
They can be installed downstream of an rcd for TT installations as long as the upstream rcd is an S type with an immunity to surge currents of at least 3 Ka

rolyberkin

-
Arms
Esteemed
The last one I fitted was in a SBS board and cost the customer £30, bit of a no brainer really, fit it and forget it. IMHO if they don't want to pay the £30 then they have to raise it as an issue and sign a disclaimer, I know that most domestic properties do not need them but when the cost is so low why not.

Wilko

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hi - Control boards do fail, but I think its most likely due to the board design and components. I'm careful to follow a power down process for boilers, for example. I can only hope SPD will increase their survival rate in general use. My last 2 CU changes have included SPD at Customer request after I explained possible benefits. These were Wylex flex boards and it added a lot more than £30 to the material cost.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The last one I fitted was in a SBS board and cost the customer £30, bit of a no brainer really, fit it and forget it. IMHO if they don't want to pay the £30 then they have to raise it as an issue and sign a disclaimer, I know that most domestic properties do not need them but when the cost is so low why not.
SBS board? never heard of them, where do you get those from?

D

Deleted member 9648

We just discuss with the client at the quote stage, if they decline surge protection then it is stated on the EIC that the client declined, nobody has to sign a disclaimer.

Reply to Surge Protection Devices for domestic - what do you think? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom