Discuss Surge Protection Devices for domestic - what do you think? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening all,
Just attended elex exeter and see there's a big push on these SPDs coming as standard now in domestic consumer units. Hager, Lewden and Contactum to name just 3.
I have had at least 2 clients in the last few months whose appliances have been damaged by apparently surges on the supply when power has been lost/switched back on, one was an ASHP and the other an Aga oven controller.
Disregarding what it says in the Green book, the additional cost of these when fitting/changing a board is not that great and they appear easy to fit retrospectively if there's a spare way for one. or even in a separate enclosure so I personally think there's a case for recommending them to customers..
What do people think, anyone else had any experiences?

Just attended elex exeter and see there's a big push on these SPDs coming as standard now in domestic consumer units. Hager, Lewden and Contactum to name just 3.
I have had at least 2 clients in the last few months whose appliances have been damaged by apparently surges on the supply when power has been lost/switched back on, one was an ASHP and the other an Aga oven controller.
Disregarding what it says in the Green book, the additional cost of these when fitting/changing a board is not that great and they appear easy to fit retrospectively if there's a spare way for one. or even in a separate enclosure so I personally think there's a case for recommending them to customers..
What do people think, anyone else had any experiences?
Disregarding what it says in the Green book:eek:, blue now read what it says .;)

How do we fit these in boards on TT.... they need to be installed upstream of RCDs as far as i can make out.... Which makes sense... But on a TT if using dual rcd boards there will be a 100ma typeS right upfront....

How do we fit these in boards on TT.... they need to be installed upstream of RCDs as far as i can make out.... Which makes sense... But on a TT if using dual rcd boards there will be a 100ma typeS right upfront....
They can be installed downstream of an rcd for TT installations as long as the upstream rcd is an S type with an immunity to surge currents of at least 3 Ka

The last one I fitted was in a SBS board and cost the customer £30, bit of a no brainer really, fit it and forget it. IMHO if they don't want to pay the £30 then they have to raise it as an issue and sign a disclaimer, I know that most domestic properties do not need them but when the cost is so low why not.

Hi - Control boards do fail, but I think its most likely due to the board design and components. I'm careful to follow a power down process for boilers, for example. I can only hope SPD will increase their survival rate in general use. My last 2 CU changes have included SPD at Customer request after I explained possible benefits. These were Wylex flex boards and it added a lot more than £30 to the material cost.

The last one I fitted was in a SBS board and cost the customer £30, bit of a no brainer really, fit it and forget it. IMHO if they don't want to pay the £30 then they have to raise it as an issue and sign a disclaimer, I know that most domestic properties do not need them but when the cost is so low why not.
SBS board? never heard of them, where do you get those from?

We just discuss with the client at the quote stage, if they decline surge protection then it is stated on the EIC that the client declined, nobody has to sign a disclaimer.

What about TT fed with overhead lines? We're meant to fit a type 1 and those don't cost £30. I do a a fair few TT installs and I've only had one customer agree to the additional £££££ for the type 1.

TT, in my opinion, isn't well served by the main manufacturers, especially in regard to DP RCBOs. It's pointless having an up-front 100mA S-type protecting the distribution board/cable if an uncleared N-E fault downstream is going to take out the whole installation. CP Fusebox seem to be about the only manufacturer doing reasonably priced DP RCBOs, but they still lack a reasonably priced type 1 SPD as far as I can tell.

CP Fusebox seem to be about the only manufacturer doing reasonably priced DP RCBOs, but they still lack a reasonably priced type 1 SPD as far as I can tell.
The Wylex/Crabtree compact RCBO are also neutral-switching and not too expensive. They do (or did...) a type 1+2 SPD as well.

As above, it is not the 'TT' aspect that merits a type 1 SPD but those systems on long overhead lines which are likely to pick up a lot more energy in the event a pole is hit, etc. They are often TT, but might also be TN-C-S depending on how the DNO thinks about the supply earth arrangements.

As a general point, type 1 (or 1+2 which are more useful) SPD are always going to be far more expensive than type 2 due to the larger devices needed to absorb the energy. Typically the energy of the "standard" direct strike waveform (10us/350us) is an order of magnitude larger than the standard induced strike (8us/20us) waveform for a given peak current. Also within type 1 SPD you get different protection levels based on energy, and of course a cost for the beefier ones.

But there are 3rd party SPD manufacturers you can use as they typically are cabled in and not busbar mounted. For example:

Not cheap, but less eye-watering than most!

As a final point you will see some SPD describes as suitable for TT or for TN, that is kind of determined by the arrangement of protective devices with the usual TT configuration having a MOV from L-N, and a GDT from N-E. Realistically they are fine for most TN systems as well (as above example is described).

Reply to Surge Protection Devices for domestic - what do you think? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock