Discuss Surge protection on minor works in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all,
Pretty straightforward I think. I was led to believe that surge protection needs to be fitted on all additions and alterations including when doing minor works unless the client signs a waiver. Another sparky I work with claims that this does not apply if you are just adding a an extra socket for example.
Any comments would be appreciated
Thanks

Would you just add an extra socket if there was no rcd protection?

Or would you at least ensure that your aspect of the work is compliant with the regs (rcbo on that circuit or just rcd at the socket - provided the 50mm rule is ok).

Surge protection is the same, but you do have a bit of an out on small works as the customer can authorise you to omit this if it is a home etc.

Evening all,
Pretty straightforward I think. I was led to believe that surge protection needs to be fitted on all additions and alterations including when doing minor works unless the client signs a waiver. Another sparky I work with claims that this does not apply if you are just adding a an extra socket for example.
Any comments would be appreciated
Thanks

Thank you, I agree and it was what I was lead to believe after recent Niceic visit. I would fit one as I would rather comply. Lots won’t though

add socket next to old socket £50 , now needs full surge and rcd that will be £600 please.

in reality risk assessment should be carried out to determine whether SPDs should be installed

add socket next to old socket £50 , now needs full surge and rcd that will be £600 please.

in reality risk assessment should be carried out to determine whether SPDs should be installed

To me this is a much wider issue than SPDs, the same occurs with RCD etc.

I have said it before, but some OAP wanting an additional socket outlet, well it needs RCD, but the fusebox is old, so needs a new cu with SPD, and rcbo or dual RCD, plus perhaps replacement lighting wiring (no cpc) etc etc.

So granny doesn't bother - it's been fine for the last 40 years, ends up running an extension for the Xmas tree, and tripping after the zimmer catches the lead!

Really should be an option for improvement, but not necessarily all the way to the latest and greatest - it's better to make some safety improvements rather than none at all.

To me this is a much wider issue than SPDs, the same occurs with RCD etc.

I have said it before, but some OAP wanting an additional socket outlet, well it needs RCD, but the fusebox is old, so needs a new cu with SPD, and rcbo or dual RCD, plus perhaps replacement lighting wiring (no cpc) etc etc.

So granny doesn't bother - it's been fine for the last 40 years, ends up running an extension for the Xmas tree, and tripping after the zimmer catches the lead!

Really should be an option for improvement, but not necessarily all the way to the latest and greatest - it's better to make some safety improvements rather than none at all.
A “good friend of mine” has done some similar jobs for friends and other more vulnerable or cash short individuals.

he might have done the work for free or for a beer.

he might have forgotten to do all the required notifications and certifications but did do all the testing and ensured that all was as safe as it could reasonably be.
was it wrong for him to do that work?
making things better but not totally up to standard is a tough one.

you can argue that any improvement is worth doing and a good thing.
or
by doing a little bit, you have given them a false sense of security.

my “friend” makes his own judgment call when ever this problem arises.

A “good friend of mine” has done some similar jobs for friends and other more vulnerable or cash short individuals.

he might have forgotten to do all the required notifications and certifications but did do all the testing and ensured that all was as safe as it could reasonably be.

or

I would guess we all have "friends" like that...

or

I have 'friend' just like yours.

Reply to Surge protection on minor works in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net