Discuss Suspended ceiling - how do you run lighting calbles ? ? ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi.

Do you have a design spec for this job?? It will nearly always be trunking+conduit, and tray work. As has been said the only way to go.

Sorry to disagree with lenny about nearly always being speced as trunking, I have found more architects want Klik boxes for ease of maintenance but on cost effective and budget conscious jobs many are specifying 3-core and earth (fixed correctly of course)(third core fore emer lights). Though saying that it would always be nice to be able to do it in trunking as it is a nice looking job on completion

Interlude i would only use those pad in a controll panel or on the back of a door to hold my jacket up never to hold cables up above a ceiling any heat or humidity and they fall off.

Sparks the Architect will ask tell you the position of lights and type its up to the electrical engineer,spark to work out routes,cable syze,type,containment and then offer a price. Architects have grand ideas and rely on the tradesmen to get it done.

Last edited:
there is a flat plastic clip, looks like a wing with a screw fixing in the middle, and when you screw to ceiling it puts tension on the plastic wing, and you can pull it down then slide your wires behind it.

Hi

Not done any wiring in shops before, but in offices its conduit or trunking with Greg roses above false ceiling tiles I know the budget is not as high for a single shop though. Your installation should be independent for the ceiling installation i.e not clipped or fixed to ceiling supports/ties. Not sure of the term kilk fitting but at a guess are they are the same as Greg roses?. I would use Greg roses for maintainability as you can work on a fitting with turning the circuit off important for continuity of business within the shop. I think someone else has mentioned a small light gauge cable tray and I would fit the Greg roses on the underside, sounds good to me. I would also bond the ceiling grid and the cable tray.

Regards

electro the Klic system is the gregs. They dont use the term in england.

the gregs is now a term for a bakers that does lovely rolls and pies ...... its on the telly

Most of the wholesalers now carry a bang in plastic fixing, drill a hole correct size, bang it in, cable tie your cables up, you can install klik boxes if the budget allows

i use these,
8mm hole with a hilti, bang in and tie wraps ......:) neat as you like

you can get them from most wholesalers,but these are one of the things screwfix are cheaper on

Cable Tie Mount Black Pack of 100 - screwflix..com, Where the Trade Buys

Last edited:
the klik system we always new as gregs or rock roses.
rock roses name came from rock, ashly who made them
where did gregs come from?

In the wholesalers I've also heard them called - them plug in flex thingys you know the ones mate they got like black and red covers on the ends!!!!!!:p

E-Fix Electrical Cable Harness 30 Cable Pack of 25 - screwflix..com, Where the Trade Buys

going back to the start of this thread this is what i would use to support the cables

E-Fix Electrical Cable Harness 30 Cable Pack of 25 - screwflix..com, Where the Trade Buys

going back to the start of this thread this is what i would use to support the cables

Hi

where would you fit the Klic/greg rose/rock rose, you have something to hold the cables?

Regards

If we're talking a relatively small amount of lights 15-20, then I'd wire in twin and support the cables using all round band. Plastic end boxes with Klik ceiling roses, if it was a bigger installation maybe you could install basket and mount your end boxes on that?

yes there is 18 ( 3 x 6 ) luminaiers and the area is more less 8 x 14

8mm hole with a hilti, bang in and tie wraps ......:) neat as you like

you can get them from most wholesalers,but these are one of the things screwfix are cheaper on

Cable Tie Mount Black Pack of 100 - screwflix..com, Where the Trade Buys

perfect - and this is the stuff that i am gonna use for this job, just wonder how strong is the fixing and if will handle a bunch of for example 5 x 2.5mm2 but that is not the problem as they do not need to be bunched in 5

Last edited by a moderator:
You can tie rap staight to the ceiling hangers...aslong as the cable is supported off the ceiling and at adequate distances
Its preferable to put up basket, conduit and kilk boxes but most won't pay for it

Reply to Suspended ceiling - how do you run lighting calbles ? ? ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock