Discuss SWA questions, doubting electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I take it that's under the consumer unit? If so I very much doubt it will reach unless there's an amount of slack to redo this with a correct gland & banjo without either renewing it or a join or isolator of some kind.
I wouldn't be glanding with banjos (or earthing nut) in that plastic CU, anyway. It requires a metal adaptable box fitting below the unit. Swa glands in plastic.....horrible!

I wouldn't be glanding with banjos (or earthing nut) in that plastic CU, anyway. It requires a metal adaptable box fitting below the unit. Swa glands in plastic.....horrible!

"REQUIRES" is a strong word.
I would prefer to make off into a metal enclosure but if the cable is supported correctly, a plastic enclosure can be glanded off correctly with either a banjo or earthing nut.

A steel through box is another good option, it has an earth terminal in it already to make the connection to the armour nice and easy.

"REQUIRES" is a strong word.
I would prefer to make off into a metal enclosure but if the cable is supported correctly, a plastic enclosure can be glanded off correctly with either a banjo or earthing nut.
Depends how you take it...in my view it does require it, taking into account those flimsy plastic units.

A well supported swa cable, adds no strain to the enclosure. In some ways it makes it more rigid.

Reply to SWA questions, doubting electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Evening everyone . Currently looking at pricing a job up . It’s a hot tub supply . Outside socket with a few spare ways in an outdoor cu . 10mm...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I have supplied my Shed with a 6mm SWA cable into a nice consumer unit. In there I have a 6Amp MCB for the lights and a 16 A supplying a...
Replies
Views
TNC-S main supply with 16mm swa supplying garage consumer unit from main consumer unit in house, then 4mm swa supplying pond equipment through...
Replies
Views
The earthing arrangement where the hot tub will be installed is formed in the TN-C-S system. I want to install the sub-main distribution circuit...
Replies
Views
DIYer question. I have a 32 amp supply going from consumer unit in garage to kitchen. It supplies an induction hob only. The cable is easily...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock