Discuss Switch in brick wall door opening in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 112675

Hello All

So the wife wants to put a switch in a patio door opening. Wall is a cavity wall. I couldn't see in section 7.3.2 of my onsite guide that it was expressly forbidden but equally I wouldn't know where the cable should be run to be compliant because the safe zone seems to assume the zoned areas are flat but if the cable was to go directly up it would go through the lintel and then move to become part of a different wall. (i.e. from the end of the wall in the doorway to in front of the wall when it gets above door height) Its a simple situation but hard to explain.

From a practical point of view I'd obviously rather I didn't have to drill through the lintel but if I run the cable just outside the doorway, I guess it wouldn't be compliant unless a fitted a blanking plate (not desirable) or 50mm deep into the wall (structurally not good).

The only "get out of jail" I can think of is that in the diagram of the room zones, the vertical end of wall 150mm zone straddles both sides of the internal corner shown. So maybe external corners (like in a door opening) also allow the zone to extend around the corner?

Take a pic of the area and mark up where you are thinking of putting the cable..... My brain is too small to understand the above... :smiley:

Oh and welcome to the forum mate.

If im reading that right, you want a switch on the reveal inside a door.

If so then the inside edge of the joining wall is not a zone in my mind as the edge doesn't run floor to ceiling.

With the light switch in place it.......

Forget it, this is a stupid idea, give her a talking to and stick it on the wall loke a normal person.

Many thanks for the welcome and replies and sorry for complicated description. I'll had a pic asap. In meantime yes it is in door reveal.

I'll try and talk to her again about the position! Espeically as it sounds even if its done compliantly it would scream "diy" if its in an unusual position.

Problem we have is that space is very limited and idea was to have a cupboard right up to the door reveal thus covering any normally positioned swtich. Pic to follow....

Red is proposed new position (although rapidly rethinking !)
Black is proposed end of new cupboard

As you can probably guess the cables were leading to an old switch. The mcb for that circuit has been switched off and removed.

Attachments

• Switch in brick wall door opening new_switch - EletriciansForums.net
    new_switch.jpg
    779.7 KB · Views: 67
I had this recently on a job and ended up putting a socket in lower down on the inside wall then drilled through to the switch position in the reveal from the chase for the socket. That way the cable was in the prescribed zone for the socket and back entry to the reveal switch if that makes sense.
Edit exactly like above but with a twin socket on the wall with the cables hanging from it!

@telectrix
Damn that would save some work! That is an excellent way to do it!
i do have my moments, even if they sometimes conflict with dementia.:p:p

Two superb ideas - I'll read into wireless option a bit more before making final decision.

THanks so much.

For the record, and because I'd done it straight after reading Sy's reply, this is what I understand he did ?

Attachments

• Switch in brick wall door opening proposed_solutio - EletriciansForums.net
    proposed_solution.png
    23 KB · Views: 59
@sparkless2
That was exactly what I meant with the chase as per your drawing but the Quinetic switches are most excellent I can also assure you!

Yes thanks for making me think about that option. I'm starting to lean against because I need to fit a second switch on the same wall but higher up. (I think DP or 3a FCU for a 100W external PIR lamp that is currently hard wired without any isolator into existing 5a lighting circuit) .
That said I could move the location of that somewhere else but there aren't that many options. Maybe the back of the new cupboard but I guess that's frowned upon too.

Is it that just the wife wants the switch there as if you are contemplating having the socket why the switch can't go on the same wall?

Is it that just the wife wants the switch there as if you are contemplating having the socket why the switch can't go on the same wall?

There is going to be a cupboard there (post 4).What I don't follow is that the cupboard would also hide the socket!

That existing chase looks to be more than 150mm from the corner. If it was less than 150mm, it would be in a prescribed route (safe zone).
The fact that the corner stops at the top of the door, rather than at the ceiling, should not then mean the prescribed route also stops.

I'm with Tel on this...again! Quinetic switch, put it anywhere.

I'm with Tel on this...again! Quinetic switch, put it anywhere.

Are these the ones that you installed in the shed?

Yes JK, the very same, and what a lot of fuss they saved. fast, no switch drops, less cable = worth the extra cost!

Reply to Switch in brick wall door opening in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock