Discuss Switch in brick wall door opening in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yes JK, the very same, and what a lot of fuss they saved. fast, no switch drops, less cable = worth the extra cost!

In that case, I'll second Tel's recommendation.;)

Have a look at the quinetic wireless range.......you could have the switch anywhere you wanted..... go to the TLC website.....have used these myself and can recommend them

Thanks yet again for the really informative set of replies and hopefully also of use to others - I did quite a few searches on this topic and couldn't find anything.

I've read more about the Quinetic switch. It being so popular here says quite a lot I think. I must admit I was slightly bowled over when I realised there are no batteries since it uses kinetic energy from pressing the switch. I guess though they are of even more use to electricians because time is money where as for me I can drill/chase/make good free of charge.

I was going to fit the DP for the outside light higher up in the reveal but since it won't be used very often, maybe I could put it at the back of the cupboard(?) That would then make a lot more sense to fit a Quinitic.

That existing chase looks to be more than 150mm from the corner. If it was less than 150mm, it would be in a prescribed route (safe zone).
The fact that the corner stops at the top of the door, rather than at the ceiling, should not then mean the prescribed route also stops.

I don't have the full regs but I did re-read my on site guide again (18th) and it did seem to suggest that any corner internal or external is in a safe zone as you suggest. That said it does show a diagram with a door reveal but does NOT show its external corners being in a safe zone.

I don't mind spending money on the Quinetic but with the DP switch to fit which is obviously wired, I'm not sure what is for the best.

quinetic... and put the D/P switch in cupboard. if the outside light is on a sensor, then the switch is just for isolation purposes.

quinetic... and put the D/P switch in cupboard. if the outside light is on a sensor, then the switch is just for isolation purposes.

Right! That's it then - always like a decision. I'm going with that!

Please nobody else give me any alternative LOL.

Thanks once again for all replies. All have been very constructive. What a brilliant forum !

What price is the quintec? Are the receivers dimmable & what price is a transmitter & receiver?

I use click smart for this sort of application but it is pricey.

think quinetic receivers are about ÂŁ30 and switches ÂŁ20+. look on TLC website.

Right! That's it then - always like a decision. I'm going with that!

Please nobody else give me any alternative LOL.

Thanks once again for all replies. All have been very constructive. What a brilliant forum !
Your welcome

cheaper alternative . i'm going to order one and see if they're any good. not much outlay for a punt:

Last edited:
Do they do kits that don't use screws for the lighting wiring?
Would be good if they did a maintenance free version.

blu-tak

bigspark17, yes they do dimmable receivers. TLC have the full range. However, the dimmable range are not fully compatible with some LED fittings.
spoon, the receivers have screw terminals as far as I know on all of them. However, as regards being maintenance free, you don't want to install them in an inaccessible location because you may need to pair the receiver with another switch, or re-pair with the original switch, which requires physical access to the receiver to actuate the pairing button. Thus, the screw connections are fine

Yes thanks for making me think about that option. I'm starting to lean against because I need to fit a second switch on the same wall but higher up. (I think DP or 3a FCU for a 100W external PIR lamp that is currently hard wired without any isolator into existing 5a lighting circuit) .
That said I could move the location of that somewhere else but there aren't that many options. Maybe the back of the new cupboard but I guess that's frowned upon too.
Make that wireless also. On a 2 gang

Can these quinetic things be operated from your smart phone?

some can:(, if you must...

I like to keep my eye on new things, Tel...
my good eye, obvo!
there's a new thing out you can learn. it's called coarse mode... dash it , i meant morse code.

cheaper alternative . i'm going to order one and see if they're any good. not much outlay for a punt:
Have a look at a couple of online videos on youtube by DSS Electrical will give you a good insight.

Ha! I know Morse code! As for semaphore, I only break out the flags for dressing overall (google it, ye landlubbers!) before a rum party!
I even had radio telephone on my old ship, many years ago...started off with DSB, then SSB, then VHF with DSC...before that lot, it was two Tate & Lyle syrup cans and a length of sisal, but the range was fairly limited...

Reply to Switch in brick wall door opening in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock